Leaking Pinkish Fluid up front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 Liberty with 29,100 miles on it, 6cyl, automatic transmission.

Today I went on my first "big girl" offroading adventure with 3 other Jeeps and a 4Runner.

I kept catching my control arms on things (mostly just high-centering crap when trying to run on mud), There were a few times where I got stuck and had to be towed out of the mud.

When we got back into town, we stopped at a gas station. One of the guys noticed a drip from my front end, so we went to inspect it (read: I watched them inspect it).

He touched the fluid and it was a reddish pinkish color. He pulled out my transmission fluid dipstick and said "Yep, it's still good" but he otherwise didn't have any official answer of what it was, He said the hoses have flat spots like they were rubbing and one probably got rubbed thin enough to break it.

His advisory was to take it to Midas tomorrow and get it checked out, but I am hoping that someone on this forum has an idea of what it might be, so I dont walk in going "durrrrr i have a leak".

is the reddishpinkish fluid the ****** fluid?

add: if Im not able to get an appt for a few days, what should I do in the meantime?

ADD AGAIN: I just went out to my Jeep after it sat in the driveway for about an hour.. THere was a single drop on the ground. When we were at the gas station it seemed to be dripping fairly consistent. Why the change?

Last edited:

Alejandro

Reaction score
Is/was the fluid mildly thick and oily? if so, I would judge that as automatic transmission fluid, especially if the leak is in the middle front of the Jeep. If it is closer to the front, it is quite likely motor oil. If it's more of a thick amber then that is power steering, thus based on your description I would say its likely Transmission fluid. Either way, I would have the vehicle looked at a body shop and they would be able to diagnose successfully based on a visual. I suggest not driving it at all if possible till it has been diagnosed... a vehicle with low Transmission fluid can cause significant internal damage.

Last edited:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like ****** fluid - could be coming from transmission or from power steering, if you have ****** fluid instead of PS fluid in there. The change in drips could be from the change in temperature of your vehicle. IMO, you should be fine to drive it until you can get an appointment with your mechanic as long as you check your fluids and keep them topped off but you should try to limit your driving.

Your best bet might be to climb under there and see where exactly it seems to be coming from.

Last edited:

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Clyde.. Unfortunately, looking at it myself would do absolutely no good, I have no idea what is what. THe only fluid I know how to change is my oil, everything else is a mystery to me hahah :p

I work 5 mins from home, thankfully! So I can go to the mechanic (5 minutes from work, haha) after that!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything redish in coler generally is the ATF+4 ****** fluids. Transmission and power steering both use it.
If it is leaking up front could be power steering hose or even from a cooler line.
Check the power steering unit and dip stick as in photo and only use ATF+4 for them.
40041[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• TransmissionFluidChecks.jpg
    TransmissionFluidChecks.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0

porkerface

Reaction score
Thanks Clyde.. Unfortunately, looking at it myself would do absolutely no good, I have no idea what is what. THe only fluid I know how to change is my oil, everything else is a mystery to me hahah :p

I work 5 mins from home, thankfully! So I can go to the mechanic (5 minutes from work, haha) after that!

Determine the consistency of the fluid. If its thick and oily, it could come from the power steering, transmission, or transfer case.

The anti-freeze that a Liberty takes is also pinkish in color. It's just a little bit oily.

Take it to a mechanic and have it checked. Its always better to pay a little bit now to fix a leak then pay a bunch later to fix something mechanical.