Knocking while in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJBart

Reaction score
I pulled back the boots and there was lots of grease in and around the bearings. I also pulled the boots on the old shaft that was replaced and it was full of grease as well. Still can't rule out the chance of a bad replacement shaft. Was curious though, what are the odds that it might be in the wheel hub itself, where the spline goes into. The reason I ask is the outer splines on the old shaft were rounded and wore down to half of what I replaced it with so thinking maybe the hub itself has more wear than normal and the spline slips in there to some degree. I can get a hub for ~$100 so I may give it a go.

KJBart

Reaction score
Final Update:

Been a while since my last post, life got in the way there for a while. I tried a new hub on the right side and it made little to no difference. So I recently headed back to the salvage yard and got the left side CV axle off the same low mileage 05 KJ I got the right side from. Then....Yippee Ki‐Yay, the noise is finally 100% gone! :D

Kudos to ltd02 & lfhoward who suggested from the get-go that some aftermarket front half shafts can run a bit shorter than OE and be a bad fit for lifted KJ’s.

Thank you to all those who commented, you all make this forum the great resource that it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online