KK New front driveshaft - binding in 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntert98

Reaction score
hey guys,

i hope you all are doing well with the quarentine.

i have been speding my days doing some maintenance to my 08 Liberty and ran into some issues after my new front driveshaft

i noticed the CV boot on my shaft had broke so i decided to replace it, this is the replacment shaft

i went out on the trail today, and put it in 4wd and heard a nasty metal sound from underneath. it is a binding type of sound, or similar to that of a chipped diff tooth. it definitly sounds like the driveshaft, passenger CV, or diff. Since i just replaced the driveshaft, it seems most likely to me. I have never had this happen before

does anybody have any idea on what could be causing this? if i slowly get up to speed in 4wd it does not do it, only if i put down some torque by accelerating quickly

My Liberty is lifted, but i wouldnt think that would have any affect for an ifs

thanks guys for any help! stay safe!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lifting a KJ or KK does nothing at all to the angles or anything as far as front driveshaft goes
Are you sure both ends were seated in and tightened down correctly
Have heard that before from one customer who replaced theirs, brought it to me and it was not seated down.
Only other thing is to remove it and try to replicate the noise with it out to narrow down the issue(s)

huntert98

Reaction score
i see, im guessing you are taking more about the CV side of the shaft?

any recomendstiond on how to make sure its seated correctly?

if they were seated incorrectly, do you think it would effect it in 2wd?

thanks!

huntert98

Reaction score
Turns out the issue was completly unrelated to the new driveshaft.

I got under there and noticed the differential bushing near the pinion had slipped out of its hole. This allowed the differential to move when torque was put through it

I managed to fit it back into the hole for now, and the new part is on its way

Latest posts

Members online