KJ won't stay cool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one, but during hot days KJ's A/C seems not enough. It blows cold air, but as soon as I turn it off, I feel heat slapping me in the face.

Actually, the same thing happens in winter, as soon as I turn off the heater, I get a slap with cold air.

Why is that? Is it because of isolation not done properly? or the A/C is not working well enough to accomodate the jeep. Could be windshield is at such angle that all the heat comes right at you, no matter how much you blow the A/C. It blows cold enough, sometimes my arm goes numb, but that's whenever it is blowing right at my arm.. The second you turn it off, heat comes your way.

I guess they should have put climate control on KJs. Grand Cherokees from 98 had them, yet they didn't put it on LTD KJs. Probably would rise the cost..

what do you think?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well, the a/c system should be blowing out cold air, but no colder than say 20* (if that on a really hot day) of the ambient temp. You've also gotta take into consideration you have black colored KJ, which gets a lot hotter than say a Khaki or a silver KJ. Plus, if you have a dark interior, thats just adding to the heat.

What setting are you running your a/c on? When its extremely hot outside, try running it on recirculation mode untill it gets nice and cool, then flip it over to regular a/c and see if that does the trick.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing in my jeep yesterday. The second the A/c goes off its like, POW! right in the kisser!... POW! right in the kisser!... POW! right in the kisser!...

Then I turn it back on.

The A/C in the Libertys I've driven is absolutely phenomenal. In my Ren its cold within 10 seconds, and maintains its cold until I turn it off.

But I deffinetly agree with hyedipin on this one.

Although I cant vouche for the heat, because I dont use it in the winter.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim, my interiour is light color leather. Yes black kj won't help much in the sun. I have to find a thermometer and check that temp.

as for the circulation, I find myself using it ALL the time. I guess it is OK. It blows cold allright, and it cools the cabin, but not cold enough, You can never feel too cold unless it is blowing right at you.

Plus, I always get fumes when I use regular A/C from the cars in front of me, especially if someone is smoking in the car in front of me, and blowing the smoke out, my A/C or heater seem to pick it up, multiply the stink and blow it right on my face..

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
when i cool off my KJ..(and where in the same zone's here so it's just as hot where ur at....LoL)

open up windows.....put on recirc, blower @ 3, max a/c
bout 5 minutes later.....or whenever i get moving..close windows, put circ blower still at 3

what i notice w/ the new refrigerants (the r34a or whatever it's called)
is that it really doesnt get going until ur moving....not just on the KJ, but on pretty much any vehicle i've been in 1995-present brand new....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
IMO, it doesn't really get going at all. R-134A ***** compared to R-12, but it's "better for our environment". My sister's old car kicks out some serious cold air. The A/C in there is so good, we didn't ever use the recirc function or turn the knob all the way to the left.

The R-134A switch happened with model year 1994.

I also find myself never using anything other than Recirc in the summer time. Now Winter is a different story. It can get WAY TOO HOT using recirc with heat! I did that one day........ shirt was soaking wet with sweat. Then I figured out why....

Never will I make that mistake again!

I will say, the A/C in both my sister's, and this new '06 kicks my '04's butt. Maybe it's just the lighter interior.

2003KJ

Reaction score
All that mess about 134-a being safer for the environment than r-12 is just that, mess. It's just as damaging, and takes longer to cool. I'd much perfer to have r-12, but when you look at the cost comparison (a can of r-134a cost me about $10 a napa a couple of weeks ago, compared to the $100 for r-12), i'll stick with the r-134a for now.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with jon, we have to get the hot air from interiour first, then keep it at recirc. That's the only way.

Plus, remember guys, we 04'ers don't have the A/C button you guys got. So we cannot use it as efficiently as you guys could.. I am not sure if it makes a big difference. for example we cannot get windshield blow with A/C..

I remember, my father in law had an old chevy, or lincoln car, you know the HUGE ones.. that drove silent as whisper although looked like falling apart. It had one helluva A/C we always had shivers. KJ is no way comparable to that..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Plus, remember guys, we 04'ers don't have the A/C button you guys got. So we cannot use it as efficiently as you guys could.. I am not sure if it makes a big difference. for example we cannot get windshield blow with A/C..

It doesn't. It just offers more "freedom" when selecting different fan levels.

You can get Windsheld blow with A/C. The A/C is supposed to come on when you're in the defrost (Windsheld blow) mode.

Mine did.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have A/C snowy sign on the defrost. It is on the non a/c side of the dial.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online