kj wont start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hooka

Reaction score
car wont start, when i turn the key i hear it ticking but not turning over. all the electrics work but when i jump start it, the car starts. is it the battery?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
car wont start, when i turn the key i hear it ticking but not turning over. all the electrics work but when i jump start it, the car starts. is it the battery?

It is your battery or maybe the battery contacts are bad so when you jump it your jump leads make good contact as apposed to your own battery.
First clean your battery contacts but battery failures are common on the KJs.:disgust: I have just now replaced the battery in my 2002 CRD for the second time!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Batteries tend only to last on average 3-5 years. They will do better if you keep them charged up by using an intelligent charger and maintain the electrolyte levels/ with clean terminals.
Once a year have battery load tested.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47021
I like the C-Tek Charger and charge the batteries around here weekly.
40078[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• C-TekCharger.jpg
    C-TekCharger.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Jeep and a "Car" ??

The Jeep easily pulls the "Cars" out when stuck!

porkerface

Reaction score
If your battery is not keeping a charge, it could either be the alternator or the battery shorted out on you. My original battery shorted out on me in a parking lot. Within three years. the mopar replacement battery shorted out on me at a filling stating. That mopar replacement, just was slowly dying on me after a little over two years-at least it didn't short out on me. I went with an aftermarket brand this time. I hope I get at least four years out of it. Three is fine so long as it doesn't short out and gives me a warning.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to put your KJ in Neutral and then trying to start it? Mine did the same exact thing a year ago and it turned out that a sensor that tells your KJ that it's in park wasn't fully engaged. Despite the shifter was in park and I was able to remove the Key.

I'm not saying the sensor it bad either b/c i haven't had a problem sense then. it's just one of those fluke things

Last edited:

hooka

Reaction score
got a new battery and its all good!! oh i didnt call it a car, that was clearly a typo

Latest posts

Members online