KJ "uniframe" project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rkingdom

Reaction score
I am exploring a new project which I will put a VW Thing body on a jeep chassis.

I read here that the KJ Liberty is a "Uniframe" and therefore may work for my project. The cost/availability/wheelbase are the other reasons I am looking at using the Liberty. A full roll cage will be a part of the build, but I was wondering if that Uniframe would be a strong enough base. Any feedback on the Liberty "frame" would be appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am exploring a new project which I will put a VW Thing body on a jeep chassis.

I read here that the KJ Liberty is a "Uniframe" and therefore may work for my project. The cost/availability/wheelbase are the other reasons I am looking at using the Liberty. A full roll cage will be a part of the build, but I was wondering if that Uniframe would be a strong enough base. Any feedback on the Liberty "frame" would be appreciated.

You need a full frame unit such is under a Wrangler, TJ would work well for what you are going to do
BUT not a KJ/KK liberty

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unibody vehicles get their structural rigidity from the entire body. Cut the roof off and the "frame" will eventually fold on you. I understand what you're getting at, since the Thing body has no floor, it bolts to the frame/pan like a Beetle does. Issue with using just a full frame, is you then need to build a reinforced floor structure. I wouldn't be so quick to discount using a KJ frame/floor section though, especially since you're roll caging the Thing thing, which would give back rigidity to the KJ's platform. It would also be wise to weld the Thing body to the KJ floor, creating a new unibody. Never seen our Liberty used this way, but I see it as being doable to someone with good metalworking skills. One additional rub, the Thing wheelbase is 94.5", Liberty is 104.2", so add to the list, shortening the Liberty unibodyframe by 10". Pretty much anything can be done with a sawzall, torch and welder. How good you are determines whether the project becomes a success, or a yard planter.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that it rolled around in my head for a few seconds, this would likely be a better way to go.... the YJ and TJ Wrangler has a wheelbase of 93.4". That would be close enough to be considered a perfect fit for the Thing. Then you have a full frame, but you'd want to strip the body and leave the floor pan, and weld the Thing body onto the Jeep floor. The only trick, finding one with a solid frame and floor, for a reasonable price. Perhaps look for a decent one that's been rolled.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about the YJ or TJ body/ floor pan, easy enough to mount the thing floor pan to the mounts of the frame, little bit of creative mounts to be made but not hard at all.
Thats the way we did VW bugs on CJ frames ran them for miles and miles :icon_lol:

Rkingdom

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback on this upcoming project.

dude1116--> I know it would be ridiculous to attempt such a project with a true Unibody vehicle. I got the idea of using the Liberty based on discussions in this forum that it was more like a Uniframe. I won't be doing the actual work. 'The Shop' in Cleburne TX will be stitching this little Frankenstein together.

CactusJ--> I was aware of the wheelbase length issue, and originally had thought TJ/YJ...but they are so damn proud of them. And why use a 15-25 year old donor when I could get a 10 year old Liberty for cheap.

Tommudd--> I am not looking to use any VW Thing pans here. This would be more Jeep and less VW. Think of the Thing body as more of just a skin attached to a custom cage with all the modern features of the jeep chassis...engine+4WD transmission+suspension+brakes+power steering.

It should be a jeep with a VW Thing exterior only.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that we want pics of "The Thing" when you are finished, right?

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback on this upcoming project.

dude1116--> I know it would be ridiculous to attempt such a project with a true Unibody vehicle. I got the idea of using the Liberty based on discussions in this forum that it was more like a Uniframe. I won't be doing the actual work. 'The Shop' in Cleburne TX will be stitching this little Frankenstein together.

CactusJ--> I was aware of the wheelbase length issue, and originally had thought TJ/YJ...but they are so damn proud of them. And why use a 15-25 year old donor when I could get a 10 year old Liberty for cheap.

Tommudd--> I am not looking to use any VW Thing pans here. This would be more Jeep and less VW. Think of the Thing body as more of just a skin attached to a custom cage with all the modern features of the jeep chassis...engine+4WD transmission+suspension+brakes+power steering.

It should be a jeep with a VW Thing exterior only.

I still would not use the KJ , much better ways to do it IMO. With the KJ suspension limitations I still think a full TJ build would be better in the long run. Even with just using the metal from the THING, be a ton of work to build up the KJ to support what you want -vs- using a full framed vehicle

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still would not use the KJ , much better ways to do it IMO. With the KJ suspension limitations I still think a full TJ build would be better in the long run. Even with just using the metal from the THING, be a ton of work to build up the KJ to support what you want -vs- using a full framed vehicle

I'm just not sure why you would want to go through the trouble of hacking apart a unibody just for the "frame" structure. I feel like a full frame would do just what you would want it to.

Rkingdom

Reaction score
Definitely will share the result. I'm planning on doing the Kevlar paint finish on the whole body.