KJ Rear end differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recall digging through some threads about the differences of rear ends over the years but I can't seem to find the right info of what I've been looking for now that I want to find it again.

From what I remember
02-05's had option for abs, tone ring in diff
06-07's had abs, tc/esp, tone ring near brakes or ends of axles

Reasons asking, unknown to me I had a ruined front end buying my new to me jeep. I found a used front diff housing with 4.10's in it that seems in good shape, I haven't opened up the cover yet to confirm it's all good, but if it is I'll replace some bad seals and any bad bearings and roll with it for now.

Rear end gears and install kits are cheap enough for the 8.25 compared to the 30a so I am leaning that route, but if I can just swap/omit some parts from an existing used one I will entertain that as an option. It seems to me the rear not going to be as universal as the front end, but I wanted to ask.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but whats your question? Are you wanting to get a rear end that already has 4.10 gears in it? You can use your axle shafts that have the tone rings on them.

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JeepJeepster thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was trying to figure out if I could get an 05 or earlier rear to fit on my 07, sounds like it is worth looking into as an option.

I haven't looked at mine of where the speed sensors are located, seems like that will be something with little or no trouble to swap over as well?

Also, great thread and info when you did your gear installs, that was one I went through while finding out information.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My understanding most if not all have the 8.25 rear diff. The other rear diff was pretty rare.

my 07 has the 8.25 (a bit oily from my greasy mitts all over it when I changed my seals)

You must be registered for see images attach

Reactions: JRB