KJ needs a little update...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have 212k on my 2002 KJ Ltd. I am on my 2nd transfer case, but all original everything else (besides regular stuff like shocks, struts, ball joints, etc)
I changed my front diff fluid last fall and today noticed that I am leaking some fluid out of the seal where the driveshaft goes in... There is also alot of play in that same shaft between the t-case and diff. First question will a 2005front differential work on my rig? I know the gear ratio is different, but anything else?
Next my Transfer case is leaking from what looks to be coming from the main seal between the main cases. Should I brave taking it out and replacing that seal or just get another case?
How bad of a job is it to change that front diff? It looks like a project...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the '05 diff is from a CRD or 3.7 KJ with a auto trans it will have the same gear ratio as your '02(as long as you have the 3.7 V6 also).The manual KJ's and the 2.4 I4 KJ's use different gear ratios.The front diff is about a 4-6 hour job to remove/install and is not really that hard,a alignment will be needed afterwards.

That "seal" between the 2 halves of the t-case is called a split seal and is no more then RTV,again not a hard job and the t-case does not even have to be removed from the vehicle.