KJ model towbar wearing problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finnjeepster

Reaction score
Hi! Greetings from Finland.This is my first contact to KJ forum. I have Jeep Cherokee Sport CRD year 2002 model ( called Liberty in USA ). I've been driving it 35000 km. I have original MOPAR towbar in it. It's hook can quickly remove or put it back if needed. Very snappy thing in deed. I've use it very little, towing my trailer about 200 km. It means that towbar is like a new. Matter concerns of towbars hooksballs wearing broblem. The active sides of the ball are rather bad shape. I can send photos of it if it's possible. OK. My opinion this damage is: The ball isn't hard enough to carry forces. Have you heard anything about wearing problems? Is that matter familiar to you? When I buoght my KJ, salesman said, choose the best, take MOPAR towbar for life!
I took contact two weeks ago to Finnish Daimler Chrysler distributor and they promised to inspect my case and return. I haven't got any message yet. I asked them to take care and give me new hook as a DC goodwill because this towbar is lvery ittle used. We haven't any Jeep forum for Jeep KJs because we have very few ones here. So I ask your opinion what to do. Regards. Finnjeepster

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

So its not a problem with the hitch, its the ball on the receiver? Have you ever put alittle grease on the ball? Have you checked the inside of the tongue on the trailer for rust or any foreign objects that could wear the ball? Ive never had any problems with a ball wearing away? O:)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick up a new tow ball. In the states they are only about 10 dollars and put some grease on this one and you should be fine.

Finnjeepster

Reaction score
Towbar wearing problems

Hi all! Thanks your answers. I must light that matter little bit more. I had nine years Mitsubishi Galant in which I had finnish made solid KOVIL towbar. no wearing occured and balls surface was shining. I towed my trailer a lot during these years, no problem. I have still same trailer and tang hasn't any damages. Using grease between those surfaces prevent friction I understand. It crossed in my mind some times in last summer. I've been looking others towbars, every balls weren't use grease! Surfaces were more or less OK, but not so bad than mine. My best friend has Chevy Van V8 Diesel and he is working with window and balcony glasses. Towed daily heavily loaded trailer in which different kind of glasses. I asked once his opinion about greasing those surfaces, and he said! forget grease, bacause the ball is hard enough to prevent damages. OK. You're using name hitch and we use name hook. same thing. The MOPAR hitch is made one piece machined rectangular steelbar covered with gold colored electric zink layer, it's impossble to change weared ball to new one, only way is to buy new hitch. I will put grease between friction surfaces when next towing. Regards Finnjeepster

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im so confused. The hitch is the part thats bolted to the jeep. That is what the receiver goes into that has the ball on it. You do not need to replace it to replace the ball. I think I payed something like $20 for a new receiver and ball. Just do that and throw the mopar receiver over a hill. \:D/

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should just be able to replace the ball. The ball is typically bolted on to a ball mount, that slides into the hitch.

Here is an example of a hitch ball
You must be registered for see images

Here is an example of a ball mount that slides into the reciever.

They bolt up together like this
You must be registered for see images attach

You can buy either the mount or the ball separately. Often times you can buy them together as a combo too. I know you are in Finland, but they sell over in the US at walmart and just about any automotive store.

Finnjeepster

Reaction score
About towbar

Thank you all! Have you place to photos in the forum? I would like to send some towbar ones. Regards Finnjeepster

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Photobucket.

http://photobucket.com

Create an account and upload your photo's.

Once you have them uploaded you can link to them from here by copying the URL of the photo:

and inserting into your message by pressing the Img button and pasting the link after the IMG tag.

Now press the Preview button.

Your image should now be in the message.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Finnjeepster

Reaction score
Joining Photobucket

I thank you timmer! I joined to Photobucket and I have sent some images to share. Regards Finnjeepster