6 Speaker Infinity Sound System Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k5liberty

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. Just picked up my '05 Liberty Limited yesterday and i want to install my Pioneer HU from my previous ride. What is the wattage these speakers can handle. Does anyone have any or know of any specs on the stock speakers?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, and welcome to JeepKJ!

Here's what the service manual has to say about the speakers. I'd say unless you're getting a pretty powerful head unit or using an amp, you should be ok. And worst case scenario? Blow the factory speakers, go to Crutchfield and get yourself some replacements :)

I cant find anything for the wattage of the standard speakers in the manual, guessing you could prolly pull the speaker out and look on the magnet, might be some indication. And this is out of the 02-04 manual, so your results may vary.

-Blu

--

STANDARD
The standard equipment speaker system includes speakers in six locations. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50 inch) diameter speaker is installed on each end of the instrument panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) full-range speaker is located in each front door. There is also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter full-range speaker located in each rear door.

PREMIUM
The optional premium speaker system features six Premium model speakers in six locations. Each of the standard speakers is replaced with Premium model speakers. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50 inch) diameter speaker is installed on each end of the instrument panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) Premium woofer is located in each front door. There is also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter Premium full-range speaker located in each rear door. The premium speaker system also includes a power amplifier mounted to each front door speaker. The total available power of the premium speaker system is about 160 watts

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
premium amps

With the premium, speakers you have to remember that you are only providing a signal to the factory amp in both front doors. And those facory amps are what is actually powering the front speakers. The rear speakers I believe, are powered off the amps from the front doors as well. So I don't know if it is possible to actually blow the speakers, since the factory amps won't let you go beyond, their rated output.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I want to further this discussioin a little bit. Right now I am sticking with the stock head unit and getting the aux input addition for the cd changer port. But this is a short term solution. Long term I want to replace the head unit with an Alpine and eventually the speakers. But I have many expenses both current and coming and will have to do this a piece at a time. What I want to know is this, if I change the head unit, how will the new radio handle the six speakers? Will it be just like stock, or will it be sending the same signal to all the speakers? I don't want to be sending bass to my tweeters in dash? Anybody have any ideas? :-k

Keep in mind that I have the sport, not the limited, so no ifiniiti system.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
OK, I want to further this discussioin a little bit. Right now I am sticking with the stock head unit and getting the aux input addition for the cd changer port. But this is a short term solution. Long term I want to replace the head unit with an Alpine and eventually the speakers. But I have many expenses both current and coming and will have to do this a piece at a time. What I want to know is this, if I change the head unit, how will the new radio handle the six speakers? Will it be just like stock, or will it be sending the same signal to all the speakers? I don't want to be sending bass to my tweeters in dash? Anybody have any ideas? :-k

Keep in mind that I have the sport, not the limited, so no ifiniiti system.

The new radio will handle the speakers, just fine. But you need to hook up the acc wire of the deck, to turn on the relay for the amps in the doors. But to answer your question it will be just like stock. And the tweaters have built in crossovers in the front door speakers, so don't worry about bass getting to them.

Bennett

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just searching for this topic, as for the compatibility of an aftermarket unit against thes OEM "infinity" speakers. I also believe they are fairly nice speakers, and the worst case is we get replacement once trying them on. It is pitA to work on speakers.. they are all tucked away.