KJ front suspension knock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allen

Reaction score
ADVICE PLEASE:
I have a knock / bang from the front left when going over a speed hump, or thru a depression in the road.
It was suggested that the lower control arm bushes are worn. Is it possible to replace them?
I am in South Africa. Cherokee 2.4 Sport - I believe to be a KJ?

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same noise sounded like someone hitting the tire well with a hammer when I went over a bump hard or dip in the road. I'm pretty sure mine was worn struts. I think they were bottoming out. After replacing the struts lower ball joints and tiered ends the noise is gone and rides so much better.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Replace the sway bar bushings and end links, easiest things to start with and usually fixes it.

Gary95

Reaction score
My 2006 KJ was clunking and wobbly. I thought it was all front end. It turned out the rear was worse. There is a boomerang shaped stabilizing bar fixed to the top of the rear diff via a ball joint. The ball joint was stuffed and the 2 bushes where the bar connects to the body were shredded. I replaced the ball joint and replaced the bushes with "PolyTuff". The lower front A arm bushes where also replaced with "PolyTuff" bushes, as the originals were stuffed allowing the A arm to move around under breaking at cornering. I could not be happier with the new bushes and the price was good too.
Also check that the sway-bar drop links are very tight so the crush tubes can't move at all.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be your struts (shock absorber). My previous vehicle (not a Jeep) had a blown shock and every time id hit a bump it would bang or knock. Replaced them and it was sweet again. Replace both the front struts, not just the faulty one.

Majormc

Reaction score
Hi Allen

I have a 3.7 doing the exact same thing. Did you solve your problem? I am in Joburg

Thanks