Keyless Entry FOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
So the unlock button on my remote fell off the other day. I keep my keys clipped to my side on my belt buckle and as best I can tell, it fell off in the Home Depot parking lot while I was running errands last week, and i'm not about to go searching the parking lot.

I found this on Ebay and wondered if yall thought it was a good deal....about $16 shipped to my door. Brand new plus instructions to program it so I don't have to go to the dealer.

My question is I would assume I would need their special instructions to program it? As far as I know, there's nothing in the owners manual that talks about programming a new remote, and everybody i've talked to says the dealer has to do it. But these people say this on their listing:
WE WILL INCLUDE PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS, HOWEVER,YOU MUST HAVE AN EXISTING, PROGRAMMED REMOTE IN ORDER TO UTILIZE THE SELF PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL HAVE TO VISIT THE DEALER TO HAVE THIS PROGRAMMED

So what do yall think?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, looks like it will work, at least that's what their telling you as long as you have one that does work. I'd try it... not much money and if it keeps you out of your friendly Jeep dealer. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Tim, looks like it will work, at least that's what their telling you as long as you have one that does work. I'd try it... not much money and if it keeps you out of your friendly Jeep dealer. \:D/

LOL yeah just reading "if not, you'll have to visit your dealer" sent a chill down my spine.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same but my '06 owner's manual says that I can program my own new keys if I have two working keys, otherwise I have to go to the stealership.
I hope you are as lucky, I hate giving them extra money for nearly nothing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a few extra key fobs awhile back and I had the instructions to program a new one. It can be done as long as you have one thats already programmed. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I bought a few extra key fobs awhile back and I had the instructions to program a new one. It can be done as long as you have one thats already programmed. O:)

where they in your owners manual?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:

where they in your owners manual?

I didnt look in the OM. It may be..

The following procedure can be used as long as one functioning transmitter is available:

Turn ignition to the RUN position (allow ignition chimes to stop).
Using any original (working) transmitter, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.
Within the specified 4 to 10 seconds, continue pressing the UNLOCK button and press the PANIC button for 1 second, and release both buttons (a chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered - allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).
Press LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1 second and release.
Press and release any button on the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter.
Repeat steps 4 to 6 to program additional transmitters.
Turn ignition to the OFF position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds. All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified.

You can mess around with that to see how it works. I think I remember someone saying that after you do it, the stock fob wont work. You must program it after you enter programming mode just like you would the new fob.. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
so after allowing 3 seconds for the chime to occur, i move on to press lock and unlock at the same time on the new transmitter?

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a few fobs from Ebay and they work well. Programming instructions are in the owner's manual (at least for my '03 they were).

It is simple enough to do, just read the instructions a few times to fully understand them first.

As a matter of fact, I need to buy a new fob and transponder key as my KJ keys have been MIA for nearly two weeks.

I purchased a new transponder key once before for my KJ when my wife's keys were stolen. Since I didn't have two working keys so that I could program the new one myself, I had it done at the dealer for $25. Still, the cost of the new key, having it cut at the hardware store and dealer programming saved me big bucks as compared to going exclusively through the dealer. I might buy a pair so I have a spare set.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 - when you say transponder key are you talking about the ignition key with the chip in it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ended up buying the one from the link above....should know in 2-5 business days if it works or not.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Ended up buying the one from the link above....should know in 2-5 business days if it works or not.

Let us know how it works out for you...the unlock button on mine fell off yesterday...

2003KJ

Reaction score
TopShapeCabby said:
2003KJ said:

Let us know how it works out for you...the unlock button on mine fell off yesterday...

LOL I can't believe how cheap those buttons are....they're not even glued on or anything....damn thing just came right off.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

Hey Tim,

Did you get you remote? Is it working? How did the programming go?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Oh yeah my bad, forgot to update it.

Remote arrived with in 3 business days (expected 2-5). Remote works GREAT. Only one issue is there is a small misprint in the instructions. To program more remotes while the system is in "program mode" you need to start one more number up from where they tell you. Meaning, I believe they said repeat steps 5-6 for additional remotes, when it should be 4-6.

Other than that it works great. Now I just need to fine tune it so that on one click only the drivers door unlocks.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the instructs were somewhat misleading but I noticed that I had to program all the remotes including the original one in order to configure it. Not sure why but it does work and you save a ton of money by DIY.

fuji

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to order one soon....probably next week or something....

I also need a key which ***** cause from what I have read so far, you need 2 to program a new one and I only have 1. I got a regular key cut at Walmart yesterday, at least if I lock my key inside, I won't need to pay to get it opened. A good 2$ investment.

2003KJ

Reaction score
TopShapeCabby said:
I'll have to order one soon....probably next week or something....

I also need a key which ***** cause from what I have read so far, you need 2 to program a new one and I only have 1. I got a regular key cut at Walmart yesterday, at least if I lock my key inside, I won't need to pay to get it opened. A good 2$ investment.

Yup. I keep a spare key inside my wallet just because that's already happened to me once with the Jeep and it wasn't fun trying to get back into it.

And yes I did notice I had to reprogram the orig. remote too....i thought that was a little odd.