Key out = no interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bacim0rteKJo2

Reaction score
When I unlock the jeep, the interior lights goes on. Easy peasy.

When I take the key out of the ignition, the interior lights doesn't go on. It is a little frustrating at night.

I am used to cars that had push pins where it would get stuck and need to push it a couple times to get un stuck. I do not see any push pins in the jeep.

I cannot find any answers online.

For the my jeep, how can I fix this issue? :help:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The door ajar switch is located in the door latch assembly inside of the door. I really do not know much more about it.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the door ajar switch is intergral to each door latch assembly....but you should see a message of "Door" on your Odometer display and a "chime" if you try to drive off with a door not latched fully.

What should happen is after switching off the ignition...the interior lights should go ON as you open a door and then time out after a few minutes.

Likewise if you leave your headlights ON and turn off the ignition and exit and lock the doors the headlights should stay ON for a few minutes.

These functions are handled by the BCM....on the rear side of the interior fuse panel.

They need to be programmed into the BCM by a Dealer...there are other functions that can also be programmed into the BCM such as the indicators flashing when you remotely lock/unlock the doors with the Fob! Did this interior light problem only happen recently or has it never worked?

As a matter of interest...if you leave the key in the ignition slot and open the driver's door do you get a constant "chime" ? This you should get.

Last edited:

Bacim0rteKJo2

Reaction score
but you should see a message of "Door" on your Odometer display and a "chime" if you try to drive off with a door not latched fully.
Yes, that I have it working.

Everything else works fine. Just the interior lights does not go on when I switch off the ignition.

Did this interior light problem only happen recently or has it never worked?
I bought the jeep this way.

As a matter of interest...if you leave the key in the ignition slot and open the driver's door do you get a constant "chime" ? This you should get.
Yes. It does chime.