KATS circulating tank heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lazychris2000

Reaction score
I got a KATS circulating tank heater at a moving sale for dirt cheap, but it is just the heater--no hoses, no fittings, nothing. I found the install guide online (PDF warning), but I'm one of those guys who needs pictures to really understand what he's doing. I'm reasonably confident in my abilities, but since this is my daily driver, I want to be a little more certain I don't screw anything up.

My KJ is a 2007 Sport with a 3.7L engine. According to these instructions, the engine block coolant drain is just below the exhaust manifold. Assuming I'm looking at the right plug, I found there is one on each side of the block. Is there any reason to use one side over the other or will I need one heater for each side? The passenger's side is practically out in the open, but the driver's side is being blocked by this kajigger (starter?). I'd much rather work on the passenger's side since it's so easy to get to. I was talking to the guys at the auto parts store and they said to bring in the plug and they'll match it with a hose barb that will thread right in, so I'd just need that and a length of 5/8" hose.

Secondly, and this is probably the dumbest question I'm going to ask, which of the heater hoses goes to the engine block/water pump without restriction? It feels too simple to just cut the rubber hose and splice in a T connector. I don't know why, but it always seems that things that are a good idea in my head turn out to be terrible ideas in practice....

Once all that is done, the question is where should I mount this stupid thing? I see 2 possible places, because according to the destructions, the heater must be installed face up and the hose must be below the drain plug at all times. Here's my full album of pics. It's the bottom 4 pictures. I would fab up a mounting bracket, of course, but that's the idea. Is there a better place to mount it or will one of these locations work?

I live in Alaska and during the winter, it can easily hit -20F, with -28F being the coldest my Jeep's experienced so far. I've got a block heater, which is nice and really helps it start in the cold, but I really like the idea of having almost instant heat instead of waiting for 10-15 minutes to get hot. I didn't consider this until just now, but will using a block heater and a circulating tank heater at the same time cause any problems?

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'd stay with the block heater and skip the tank heater. I've used tank heaters and they help if they're plumbed correctly. Eventually the ball valve goes bad and they become less efficient. A "T" adapter doesn't work as well as the "Y" adapter the heater usually comes with which has to be installed correctly to encourage convection circulation between the heater and the engine block. Most of the "Y" adapters I've seen are plastic that break in the cold... more hassles.

I have a CRD with a block heater. I added heating pads under the battery and oil pan to give it some help when it gets left out in the cold. I don't plug it in all night; just an hour or two before I travel.

Consider what else is on the circuit you plug into if you add more heating elements so it doesn't overload and trip the breaker.

Hope this helps.

lazychris2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I saw the plastic Y connector on the product page and immediately went ಠ_ಠ . Was going to grab a nice brass T from the auto parts store since plastic hose connectors like that tend to fail pretty catastrophically when it gets to be around -20F.

I think I'll just throw it back on craigslist and try to get my $15 back (or maybe a little profit) since it sounds like they aren't that great.

I've got a timer at home, too. Comes on 2hr before I leave for work and an hour before my wife heads to work (I work morning shift, she works swing). Just plug her rig in when I leave and it's good to go when she heads out.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a block heater in my 74 FSJ back in 83 when I got up here , worked fine, Had one in my 84XJ and my 03 KJ came with one installed. They all worked fine and had been used to -35 during a cold snap here in the early 80s. My 14 KL has a block heater in it and it works fine also but we have not had serious cold since I got it. Recirculating tank heaters work well when they work, but eventually they don't, usually at the worst possible time.

Good Luck!

lazychris2000

Reaction score
With the mild winter we just had, I'm really expecting the pendulum to swing the other way this year and spend most of it below 0 :p

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In real nasty sub-zero temps, the stock block heater takes a while to to get things warming, especially if it has been unplugged all night.
You can experiment with high watt timers, but 4 hours would probably be better.
Battery warmer ya, or a real good AGM battery and trickle charge it if short trips weekly.
I highly recommend that an anti-freeze tester be utilized in the fall, to ensure your Hoat is meeting the required protection.
Full synthetic engine oil as well.

lazychris2000

Reaction score
AGM battery, check
HOAT antifreeze, check
Proper concentration, check
Full synthetic oil, check
2 hours seems to work reasonably well, but on the nights it's supposed to get really cold, I'll try bumping it up to 4 hours

DIYGenie

Reaction score
What is the purpose of this install? Sorry for a silly question… I’m new!!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this install? Sorry for a silly question… I’m new!!
You are reading a thread from 2015. The OP wanted a tank heater on his jeep for winter. He lives in alaska. Winter temp -20F. He already has a block heater. It installs in a freeze plug hole and heats the engine coolant if plugged into house current. The tank heater does similar. It heats coolant and circulates it thru the vehicle. Ala ‘instant heat’. No warm up because electricity ran the heater.

Btw no question is silly. I ask plenty of em!