Just wanted an oil change...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my Jeep of to the local Firestone for an oil change this morning. Before you jump on me for that, it's been really cold and wet here, I don't have a garage where I can do my own, and it's only $16 for a synth blend change and filter with my corporate discount.

That being said I got a call about 30 minutes after I dropped it off and the mechanic is telling me the power steering pump is leaking "pretty bad". I've never heard a whine nor had any problems with my steering. What is the best way for me to verify what this guy is saying? Cost: $310 to repair.

He also says my cv boots are pretty bad and need to be replaced. I've heard on here that this is an issue so I guess I believe him a bit more on this one but I'd still like to see for myself. What do I look for? Cost to replace: $380.

What are your opinions on this? Are those good prices? Should I get other opinions from other shops? Unfortunately doing the work myself isn't really an option right now. And of course I just bought this Jeep in September and the first time I bring it in for anything they try to hit me up with a $700 repair bill.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ask them if you can see it on the lift.
Then they can show you "whats up.."

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah have them show you the problems and then get a second opinion at a Jeep dealership.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my local firestone has some elevated prices for the little things, not to sure about the big stuff though...
on my sisters KJ they called after we dropped it off at our local firestone and they called and left a message for her saying "Your license plate bulb is out, we will go ahead and replace it for you, just call us back within a half hour if you would not like us too. It will cost $17." :confused::confused:
So i called back and said no way and how could it cost $17 to replace a bulb? "well the labor it takes to get the bulb out and replaced is $15" and i just laughed and it took me all 45 seconds to get it replaced :D

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell them you dropped it off for an oil change and that's it.

Get the jeep home and look at the power steering fluid level. if it is ok and there isn't any fluid dripping it is ok. Just check those two hoses that always tend to rub together.

Wait until it is warmer and you can have a look at the cvs

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now no complaining about changing oil in the cold i did it at -15 wind chill in my back driveway last month... But i do feel your pain there cause i don't have a garage either....

Anyway, i would say "show me" and see what the problem is on the power steering, seems like a pretty steep repair bill on that. Is it just that damn o-ring on the high pressure line fitting that was discussed in endless detail on here?? I know someone else got the news the same way and he posted that it cost him like $.20 for a new o-ring and some time to take it apart and clean the fitting and then put it all back together and purge the air out after topping it off.

And then of course there is that spot where the lines rub... And check the return line on the reservoir that could leaking to, that was discussed in detail also at one point, its like a couple feet of hose and some clamps from an auto parts store to replace that as its just on barbed fittings.

Oh and double check the cap on the reservoir. When i got my KJ and drove it home i was like SON OF A ... What the heck is leaking when i saw oil everywhere, turns out the last person to top off the power steering left the cap on so only one side caught the top edge of the reservoir, it was sitting on there kinda crooked... I took it off and cleaned it up, topped it off, and put the cap back on and drove around and it never happened again. Took me longer to clean up the spill than it did to fix the problem.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't uncommon for places like that to exagerate a little, or even lie, to up-sale you on stuff. I would want to see it myself before I would allow them to replace something.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't uncommon for places like that to exagerate a little, or even lie, to up-sale you on stuff. I would want to see it myself before I would allow them to replace something.

I agree.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noboy's going to flame you for not wanting to change your oil. It's worth it to me to pay somebody $20 to do it. I even drop off my own filter and they only charge me $15.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Noboy's going to flame you for not wanting to change your oil. It's worth it to me to pay somebody $20 to do it. I even drop off my own filter and they only charge me $15.

Nobody that isn't high on testosterone anyways :D .. I do the same thing .. buy my oil and filter and drop it off at the dealership .. $15 and it's done.... I retain the skin on my knuckles :D and get to watch the whole process through a big glass window.

Last edited:

Boiler

Reaction score

There are plenty of us that would not let a shop do it unless we absolutely had no other option. But flame him? You're right, I don't care what he does.:)

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to remember that a shop gains nothing by doing stuff half-assed to keep the price down. And they need to warranty their work. If you mess it up in your driveway, you just do it again.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I didn't see any flaming though.

My first oil change was done by the dealer (free first oil change). One other time when the weather was bitter cold I didn't do it but I have done every other oil change since. The dealer even sent me a coupon for a free oil change that I never used because it is easy to do and I would just rather do it myself. Also, there is other things I do with my oil changes that no one elce does.

But sometimes crap happens and you have to let someone else do it. Nothing wrong with that. You just need to find a trusted shop/mechanic.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, i would say "show me" and see what the problem is on the power steering, seems like a pretty steep repair bill on that. Is it just that damn o-ring on the high pressure line fitting that was discussed in endless detail on here?? I know someone else got the news the same way and he posted that it cost him like $.20 for a new o-ring and some time to take it apart and clean the fitting and then put it all back together and purge the air out after topping it off.

And then of course there is that spot where the lines rub... And check the return line on the reservoir that could leaking to, that was discussed in detail also at one point, its like a couple feet of hose and some clamps from an auto parts store to replace that as its just on barbed fittings.
The common issue on the PS line leaks on the KJ is the high pressure line where the metal ends are crimped onto the rubber,you can not just use hose clamps(1500psi or more).It's also uncommon for the o-ring to leak(it's happens but not often).Those pressure lines are about $100 retail and the only place that really stocks them is CarQuest,there more expensive at the dealership(on back order).If you have not replaced one of those lines you wouldn't know thye are kinda a pian in the a$$ since it loops up under the drivers side headlamp where it is secured by two 10mm bolts that are not exactly easy to get to.My shop charges 0.7 hours to change one which includes the fluid and bleeding of the system,actually not bad for how long it actually takes to do,and yes the line is more expensive since it's a buisness and they will mark up the part to make money on it also(just like any other buisness,automotive or not).

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your power steering, if it's leaking "pretty bad" you should be able to see some evidence of that. Part of that evidence should be low fluid in the reservoir. I have a 'weeping' power steering hose, which amounts to a hose which looks 'oily'-- shiny. But there has never been a drip on my driveway, no other components have any grease or oil on them, and my level in my reservoir has stayed at the 'full' position the entire time. Even the dealer didn't seem that concerned about it. If yours is really leaking "pretty bad" you should see a drop in your fluid level over time.

As far as the CV boots, you should be able to snap a pic of them yourself, and upload here to let everyone give their professional opinion.

And don't feel bad about getting a basic oil change professionally. Not everyone has a dry, covered and level garage and the blessing of good weather.

Last edited:

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses. I took a look under the hood while the Jeep was still at the garage (it was off the lift by the time I got there) and didn't see anything leaking. As several of you said the PS line looked oily but no drips. And I haven't ever had any leak spots in my driveway of any kind. The PS reservoir was full but I'm not sure if they maybe topped it off. I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

As for the boots, I'll get pics up here hopefully this weekend and maybe one of you guys (or several I'm sure) can give me an opinion. The ground just dried out today but of course it will be raining again by the time I get out of work. I love this New England weather!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The common issue on the PS line leaks on the KJ is the high pressure line where the metal ends are crimped onto the rubber,you can not just use hose clamps(1500psi or more).It's also uncommon for the o-ring to leak(it's happens but not often).Those pressure lines are about $100 retail and the only place that really stocks them is CarQuest,there more expensive at the dealership(on back order).If you have not replaced one of those lines you wouldn't know thye are kinda a pian in the a$$ since it loops up under the drivers side headlamp where it is secured by two 10mm bolts that are not exactly easy to get to.My shop charges 0.7 hours to change one which includes the fluid and bleeding of the system,actually not bad for how long it actually takes to do,and yes the line is more expensive since it's a buisness and they will mark up the part to make money on it also(just like any other buisness,automotive or not).

I wasn't talking about hose clamps on the high pressure line, i was talking about the return line. There has been a few reports on here and LOST about hardened and leaking return lines at the reservoir. They have those standard factory spring type clamps on them which can be a pain sometimes to get off as they are seated down into the rubber hose.

And what i was getting at make sure if its the high pressure line leaking that you check the o-ring as well, because there has been a few on the forums who thought it was the crimped on fitting leaking but after they cleaned it all up and watched it they found out it was leaking up where the hose threads in rather than the back end of the fitting on the hose.

Speaking of which, i don't think there would be enough slack in that hose to put a new end on and have it still reach would there??? I was checking all the fluids the other day before this subject came up again so i didn't think to look. I know one local shop that does hydraulic lines and cylinders, he mentioned doing ends like that for guys building custom four wheelers for mud racing. Mine hasnt leaked, knock on wood, so just exploring an option if i ever need a repair.