Just bought the wife an 04 Liberty - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the group - hello all!

We needed a newer vehicle for my wife as her new job involves a fair amount of travel, much of it in winter months, which can bring adverse conditions here in northern Alberta. I wanted something that would be able to handle unplowed roads, sudden snowstorms and the ability to whack the occasional deer without leaving her stranded on the side of the road.

I was getting tired of the quirks and annoyances with her current ride, a 95 LR Discovery, good solid vehicle but just to high maintenance and crappy MPG for a lot of travel. I had my eyes on the 4 door Wranglers (also needs to serve as a family wagon as 2 out of 5 kids are still at home) as the prices were down, but we settled on a clean little 04 Liberty with just under 60,000 km's on it. I think its a renegade model as it's fairly loaded, I especially liked the row of driving lights on the roof for better night driving, and she liked how it felt to drive, with good visibility etc and it was closer to what she was used to, the LR and before that a Trooper. We drove a new Patriot which had an attractive sticker price but she hated the mini-van-type massive dash in front of her.

Anyway, that all aside, I was doing some digging to see about the AC/Heater fan not blowing on the #1 setting and I came across some threads on different boards about how people have experienced this and other electrical quirks with these units, such as headlights and/or dashlights stopping working while driving. I had hoped that we were leaving the land of electrical quirks of the Discovery behind us, but it appears perhaps not..

I thought I'd check with other drivers here, is this a common thing with the Liberty? Can something be checked and/or replaced beforehand to avoid this? The thought of headlights suddenly going out in a dark snowstorm is not very appealing.

Any other issues that I may want to address before winter as well?

thanks!

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, that all aside, I was doing some digging to see about the AC/Heater fan not blowing on the #1 setting and I came across some threads on different boards about how people have experienced this and other electrical quirks with these units, such as headlights and/or dashlights stopping working while driving. I had hoped that we were leaving the land of electrical quirks of the Discovery behind us, but it appears perhaps not..

First off, congrats on the new-to-you KJ!

As for the fan not running on the #1 setting, it could be the Blower Motor Resister board needs to be replaced. I just had to replace mine in my 04 last weekened. Not sure if its a Chrysler thing as I had to do the same thing in my old Dodge Dakota. Pretty simple and inexpensive job.

I've not had any other electrical problems (knocks on the nearest piece of wood) with the KJ.

So, welcome to the board and enjoy that new vehicle.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, blower motor resistor as jp1 mentioned. This is a common repair on everything out there these days. I replaced it in my Pontiac Montana the first year we owned it, and i had to replace it in a Dodge Neon we owned at one time as well. Hasn't happened to our KJ or PT Cruiser yet, knock on wood! But if it happens its a cheap fix, around $15-$20 for the part and a little time with some hand tools and you can fix that yourself.

There is some posts on here with pictures showing how to replace it, give it a try yourself!

It doesn't surprise me that position 1 burns out on them most of the time. You see the slower the fan runs the more current has to be dissipated by the resistor. So on setting 1 your converting most of the amperage to heat in that resistor, the resistor limits the current and drops the voltage to the fan motor to make it run slower.

It was the same way on the Montana we had, 1-3 burnt out. At first 1 went out and i said heck i can live without it for now, then i was always using 2 and that burnt out, and then finally only 3 and up worked, then 3 died. It was either full blast or nothing at that point so i had to replace it. The highest fan setting has no resistance inline so that always works even if the rest of the resistor pack dies. This is also the reason they mount them where they do, in the airbox, this puts it in the airflow to provide some cooling to the resistors. On older vehicles you could pull one out and the resistors were made up of coils of nichrome wire, they lasted a long time because they were open to the air and were cooled better. Then they changed the design to a circuit board and eventually they have been heated up one to many times and fail.

As for loosing the headlights, dash lights, etc.. Well i haven't seen that personally. I read a few posts on here where someone lost their gauges because of a blown fuse or a a problem with the computer. But i don't know of any cases where the headlights quit. If there is a known problem concerning the headlights someone post about it!

Oh and welcome to the board!!

PS: Tell your wife i got sick of the huge minivan dash myself!!

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between this board and the other major Liberty (KJ) forum that I frequent I have not noticed or read any problems with the headlights failing to work. The Multi-Function Stalk that controls the headlights can become worn out over time and start to cause flickering dash lights but this is easily fixed by replacing the MFS with a new one in your driveway. I don't believe anyone has ever had a real problem electrically with the KJ.

Keep it stock for the most part and they are solid, dependable and sturdy vehicles that serve family haulling duties splendidly.

Just for reassurance - you did pick a winner. The KJ is mighty capable in the winter months (live in Michigan which isn't as cold as you but I can speak from my experience). The frame is also really strong and will survive accidents really well so you can rest easy knowing that your family hauler is very safe and sturdy.

The gas mileage is the only thing I think you'll be dissapointed in. While it's not horrible it won't be spectacular. Then again, you are trading gas mileage for reliability, safety and down right coolness...

I've had my KJ since February 2003 (IIRC) and it's never once let me down. It's still stock and unlifted but it has never let me down. Other than regular maintainence, a set of tires and a new battery the KJ is pretty much original. And now that my wife has confiscated it, it hasn't let her down either... A very solid vehicle.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers all..

Haven't even gone through a tank yet to see what the mileage is, but it has to be better than the LR, which has an unnecessary V8 in it that has crappy power in the low end. I was mildly disappointed when I popped the hood and saw the V6, IMHO it's overkill for this vehicle and I'd sooner have seen an inline 4 or diesel (I have a 99 7.3 powerstroke with 500,000 kms and I LOVE diesels) powering it. Like you said though, mileage is nice but it takes a back seat to safety and reliability..

I plan on keeping it more or less stock, perhaps add a better intake system but other than that leave it alone. It's not dark enough up here this time of year to really test the overhead light rack, but I may also replace them as night vision is a big item on my list with the amount of game on the roads at night, 'specially the swamp-donkeys. I kind of wish it was AWD like the Rover was, but I'm ok with SOTF as long as it works good.

This is the thread where I was reading about the headlights problem.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youll be out looking for another rover soon enough. [-X

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
This is the thread where I was reading about the headlights problem.

lol.

The fix for that isn't a $1000 module.

It's a $40 multifunction (headlight) switch/stalk.

Welcome, and enjoy the Liberty. Don't pay attention to that garbage. Read this site... I'm a member of Edmunds and I haven't posted in maybe years because of that reason, along with others.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah speaking of the KJ being sturdy... I bought mine in June, before i could get it home i hit a deer, nothing but plastic damage on the front thankfully. Then shortly after another board member t-boned a Altima and he drove away with what i consider minor damage while the car was totaled, any other vehicle and i think he would have had frame damage. And if you dig back a bit farther on the boards you will find another post with pictures of a KJ after it t-boned a F150, again the truck was totaled and the KJ drove away bruised but not broken. After seeing those pictures, and my own experience, i feel safe in my KJ.

Ok on the MFS problem guys, thanks for posting that info for the OP and me. I read a bunch of things about the problem and it seems it usually came back to that switch. You know that doesn't surprise me, the PT Cruiser has the same style MFS and wiper controls as the KJ. I'm a member of and frequent PT Cruiser forums too and its a common problem on them as well. On my wife's 02 sometimes when you have the headlights on the backlighting of the stereo display flickers on and off, i thought maybe it was the MFS syndrome but the dash lights are not affected so maybe its a problem in the radio itself, i don't know. Either way it hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it yet. Yeah it annoys the heck out of me, but i don't have the cash to toss at a problem that doesn't affect the vehicles performance or safety.

As for MPG, i average around 24-25 on my 03' KJ. So that's not too bad in my book, and thats actual calculated mileage, not info from the overhead display as i don't even have that on mine.

If you like diesels so much you should have hunted for a CRD!

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youll be out looking for another rover soon enough. [-X

I highly doubt that.. unless I get homesick for sticking doorlocks, ingition keys that won't turn in cold weather, an alarm system that won't let you open any door (without activating) but the drivers with the key etc..

oh, and oil stains on the driveway..

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that.. unless I get homesick for sticking doorlocks, ingition keys that won't turn in cold weather, an alarm system that won't let you open any door (without activating) but the drivers with the key etc..

oh, and oil stains on the driveway..

LOL... Now thats funny

tnewcomb

Reaction score
Marlon, explain a little more about the switch/stalk. Is this something I can get from the dealer? Was under the inpression the headlight stalk and wiper stalk is one piece.