Just bought an 05 Libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldskoolmxer

Reaction score
Hello all-
Just bought an 05 Libby for the wife. Nothing to complain about so far, it's got less than 30K miles on it. Anything that requires attention as far as regular maint that the factory overlooked? I do all my own work except tires/alignment, although I did have the warrant transferred. Just got back from a weekend trip, got 20 mpg with the 3.7, that sound about right?
Really happy to have found this forum, looks like some die-hard enthusiasts!
Cheers from Oregon
Oldskoolmxer

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like Budke said...make sure the Lower Ball Joint recall has been performed on your Jeep. Your dealer's service center can check or you can go to:

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')

Outside of that, keeping the oil changed every 3000 and keeping up with regular maintenance is all you need to do with these if it's just a daily driver for the wife! You can more than likely expect well over 100,000 miles of trouble free service with maybe a few little quirks mixed in.

Search around for "window regulator" problems on this forum and get yourself educated about that issue before it happens to you (it may or may not happen to you).

It's when you get into the sickness like the rest of us that the $$$ starts flowing.

Midgear

Reaction score
don't drive it when the oil light is on and you'll be in good shape.

20 MPG's.. wish mine did that.

pics2.gif

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
don't drive it when the oil light is on and you'll be in good shape.

20 MPG's.. wish mine did that.

pics2.gif

i can pull about 23mpg on the hwy but shit i only get about 15 around town

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
20 hwy is about what ThunderbirdJunkie gets with bigger tires and tons of crap bolted to it killing anything that used to be aerodynamic about it:)
Welcome, oldskoolmxer...wanna buy a TM400:D

oldskoolmxer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses, I checked on the recall info when I bought it and the ball joints had been done and also a bracket for the auto trans linkage or thereabouts. After seeing all the aftermarket goodies for this thing Im jonesing to trick it out a bit......I did buy it for my wife so Im thinking if I only change one part a month or so she might not even notice.
Thunderbirdjunkie Im recovering from shoulder surgery right now but Ill keep your TM400 in mind. I remember Roger Decoster saying how he felt bad in the mid 70s whenever a TM400 rider would ask them to sign their cast.....I dont think the law would allow bikes like this to be produced these days-too bad!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Was joking about selling it - not ThunderbirdJunkie's to sell :p

Will have to get some pics next time he goes to his dad's house :D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow you guys are getting 20mpg highway? On my recent trip to NYC to see my sis I only got 18.6. You guys are lucky.

welcome oldskoolmxer

About the window regulators you should be okay yours is an 05. Most of the problems are with the 06 and 07 I think. I got lucky because my "06" was made in 05 so I have the good window regulators :D