Just bought a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Newbie here, just bought an '07 KJ 4X4 Sport and I'm hoping to learn a lot more about it here and hopefully get some mods done to it soon. My wife and I are having a baby soon but we both owned regular cab (i.e. 2-seater) Tacomas, so they had to go. We love being outdoors and we off-road, hunt, fish, and hike frequently so we were hoping to get a 4X4 RAV4 to replace her Tacoma but I came across this at a dealer and got a smokin' deal on it. It's comfy, the perfect size for us, and I hear these are pretty good as far as reliability and gas mileage are concerned. It's definitely going to be more capable off-road than a RAV4, and it has less blind spots which was a huge plus for the wife too. I'm really happy with it so far. One owner, no accidents, only 64,000 miles.

You must be registered for see images

Here's my "old" baby which I'm not happy to be getting rid of but with a real baby on the way I don't have much choice :icon_sad:

I'm really glad to have found a good resource for KJ's online! If y'all have any suggestions for first mods, I'm all ears. I'm thinking of taking it slow at first, aFe filter, roof rack bars, tire cover, etc. Maybe a Gibson exhaust and some aftermarket wheels... We'll see.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice jeep/pics and congrats on the new little jeeper.

Skids, hooks, lift, tires are the mods to consider if you are going to go off-road with your jeep. There are lift threads outlining the best ones being used by members on here. Enjoy the forum.

Dave

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice jeep/pics and congrats on the new little jeeper.

Skids, hooks, lift, tires are the mods to consider if you are going to go off-road with your jeep. There are lift threads outlining the best ones being used by members on here. Enjoy the forum.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

Great suggestions. Skids are certainly in order. I already added a recovery point to the back of the Jeep by putting a 3/4" clevis shackle in the hitch receiver. Definitely looking at options for the front also. I'd love an OME lift but I'm not sure I want to throw that kind of money at it with a baby on the way, and my tires are brand new from the dealership so I'll be sticking with these for a while.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave!

Great suggestions. Skids are certainly in order. I already added a recovery point to the back of the Jeep by putting a 3/4" clevis shackle in the hitch receiver. Definitely looking at options for the front also. I'd love an OME lift but I'm not sure I want to throw that kind of money at it with a baby on the way, and my tires are brand new from the dealership so I'll be sticking with these for a while.

There's also the Ironman lift which is a bit cheaper than the OME but gives you the same great ride quality

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also the Ironman lift which is a bit cheaper than the OME but gives you the same great ride quality
Thanks for the tip! I'll look in to the Ironman lift.
Welcome and congrats on the new KJ and of course the lil one on the way.

I quickly photoshopped my wheels black tonight. I like it, so I think painting the wheels will be my first mod. I will also have a DVD headunit and install kit on the way tomorrow, along with some locking roof rack cross bars and a roof basket.

xIceHoundx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whew thats quite a large jump from that tacoma to a KJ, I know how ya feel I just sold my highly modified 93 Mazda RX7 and just got myself a KJ as well, totally different change of life.

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whew thats quite a large jump from that tacoma to a KJ, I know how ya feel I just sold my highly modified 93 Mazda RX7 and just got myself a KJ as well, totally different change of life.

Yeah haha but so far I have no complaints! I think the KJ will be fine for camping, road trips and day-to-day baby moving necessities.

xIceHoundx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah haha but so far I have no complaints! I think the KJ will be fine for camping, road trips and day-to-day baby moving necessities.

yea I know what ya mean, ive got a 5 month old daughter so the KJ was a reasonable choice. I'll still be able to enjoy doing some modding and get into offroading fun, plus its a perfect ride for thowing a few snowboards on the roof, gear in the back, and rolling up the mountain.

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I know what ya mean, ive got a 5 month old daughter so the KJ was a reasonable choice. I'll still be able to enjoy doing some modding and get into offroading fun, plus its a perfect ride for thowing a few snowboards on the roof, gear in the back, and rolling up the mountain.

My thoughts exactly. It seemed like a great compromise vehicle... I do a lot of hunting, camping, fishing, etc. but I also need usable space for a kid, baby gear, etc. The pickup wasn't going to do it for me any more, and I didn't want a fullsize truck that ***** down gas and is a pain to drive in the city.

Members online