Journal of My Jeep: What happened today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well, so I got new eyeglasses today. I stopped at the gas station... I didn't fill up, just added to what was in the tank... few gallons, left, about 2 miles down the road and 5 miles into the trip... I hear this loud "clunk". Scared the mess out of me. I was right in front of the dealership too, how ironic.

So when I left home, my EVIC told me I was averaging a wonderfully low 17.4MPG. That's where it stayed too, until I saw it climb to 17.5..........17.6.......17.7......17.8. Wow I said, this never happens. This is city driving too. So then I get on I-94.... I spent approximately 3 miles on the freeway..... 17.8......17.9......18.0.....18.1.....18.2...............18.3. I'm going over my cousin's house. I leave, back on the city streets..... 18.4......18.5.....

Get back on I-94, and go home...... 18.6.......19.0........... and that's where it is now, in my driveway.

What the heck was this clunk? Will I hear it again? I think I love this clunk, lol. \:D/ I hope to hear it again someday. Total miles driven today, 45.3. Total odometer reading: 2336.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivetrain lash?? I heard that one day, thought somebody had bumped me. Pulled off the freeway and checked, nothing.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Nah, it wasn't drivetrain lash. I know just about every noise the Liberty makes (besides rear brake moan), and well..... this was nothing I've ever heard before.

I've been having some problems with fuel consumption since new... and after the noise my MPG started skyrocketing so maybe the two are related.

I forgot to mention... when I left home, the Liberty started just a bit longer than usual, and has been sounding entirely different all day.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably had a dead cat stuck in the turbo flow control valve and it just got flushed out. See, we all told you the anchor would get caught in a rut and tear off then your milleage would improve.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may of had a small animal stuck in the exhaust. You heard it shoot out thus letting the exhaust flow better. \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't care what it was, I want to hear that clunk again!!!! \:D/ \:D/ lol3.gif lol3.gif

Is this the beginning of Marlon being happy with his Jeep?

Oh I forgot, I was also racing a Commander.... during all these number jumps. I lost. Must have been some V8.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Congrats on breaking your CRD in! Now we should only hear good things about it.
I'm not jumping to any conclusions just yet.

Oh yeah, I just checked Jeep.com.... you can't get the Trail Rated badge / Low Range with the Commander unless you get the V8. That would explain why he beat me, tee hee. We weren't racing, I was just attemtping to keep up with him. Oh well. ](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
MoladoGuy said:

Oh yeah, I just checked Jeep.com.... you can't get the Trail Rated badge / Low Range with the Commander unless you get the V8. That would explain why he beat me, tee hee. We weren't racing, I was just attemtping to keep up with him. Oh well. ](*,)

He didnt know you were trying to beat him and he still beat you? Do you think he just happened to have it to the floor or something? (Aeh)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:
MoladoGuy said:

He didnt know you were trying to beat him and he still beat you? Do you think he just happened to have it to the floor or something? (Aeh)

I don't know... I know I had my foot to the floor, lol.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remeber a post about something like this awhile back on LOST. I think it turned out to be something about the O2 sensor. Anyone remeber this? I can't seem to find the thread. The guy said he had a huge jump with his mileage.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
That clunk did indeed improve my mileage, but I was driving slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that day.

However, I aired up to 40PSI today.

I drove NORMALLY today. My EVIC is telling me.... I haven't reset it since my last post........ 19.2MPG after dropping back down to 17.4.

Yay!

Odometer: 2707