Jerkey Feeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshg678

Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting here.

My Mother-Inlaw has a 2007 liberty with 130k miles on it now. Its her DD and it does a lot of long hauls (4-6 hour drives) so it sees a lot of highway.

We just took it down to her moms house (6 hour drive) does great cruising at 80MPH on the interstate.

However i noticed when were were driving around town, when going around 30mph in 3rd gear (auto) with the TC Locked, and light throttle a shuttering feeling occurs, almost like a mis fire feeling, but it doesn't sound like a mis fire. I think its most noticeable when the engine power/speed is equal to the speed of the vehicle.

I am worried what it might be, The Transfer case, or alex bearing?

This vehicle has only had one trans fluid change and thats it besides the Oil changes.

IM going to get the stuff to change the diffs and trans case (i got the correct parts information from this forum).

Also i noticed the Power steering is starting to wine, and i think it might be because it has some normal power steering fluid mixed in the with the +4 because it was below the add line and we were going on a 6 hour drive (6months ago) so i plan to suck it out, and refill with the +4 and cycle the wheel back and forth, and repeat until i use a few quarts of +4. Hope it won't ruin the pump.

One more thing, during cold starts when its about 50 degrees, i hear a slight noise, almost sounds like a lifter, but it doesn't occur at the rate that would make me think its an actual lifter.
What would be a common thing to make this noise? Waterpump maybe?

Thanks for reading my rambling.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No check engine light? Tune up time. New spark plugs, air filter, spray throttle body and any diffs/transfer case oils/lube is good to do asap. The rear diff should be changed out every 20k miles. The front diff every 35k and transfer case same.
The power steering unit does take ATF+4 but I also use Lubegard and really does remove friction & quietens down the pump. The first time I suction out power steering reservoir I use 100% Lubegard. Next flush time I would go 50 -50 mix.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-199/LUBEGARD+Power+Steering+Fluid

In ****** fluid I use Lubegard red and never get any stiff shifts or shudders.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

joshg678

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. No CEL on it. I think the plugs were replaced once, but im not entirely sure, and she doesn't really remember. I will add that to the list of things to get. I kind of forgot about those important little things. Which socket size are those plugs, is it the 13/16" or the smaller one?

Why does the Diff fluid need to be changed so much? It has Open Diff in there right? because it uses the T/C to emulate locking diffs.

I could see the Transfer case needing it more often because it must have some sort of clutch pack in it, i know its a 60/40 split.

I have been considering getting some lube gard, im just afraid to put that in the trans because i know Chrysler love their special fluid and kill them selves on anything but.
Mother in law had her minivan trans die out 8k miles after getting the fluid changes at Poopie Lube (jiffy lube) and having the wrong stuff put in. She took it to Ammaco and they put the right stuff it, and it would move around for 2 miles and then die. But after rebuilding the trans and getting the right fluid every time, its a OK at 240k miles.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The plugs should be changed out every 25-30k miles. Cant remember socket size off the top of my head. I normally just go buy the listed NGK copper core plug that is listed on the under the hood sticker, and use the new plug to find the right deep spark plug socket, got all kinds of them here. Gap them by hand before I install, and a very small sniff of anti-seize on threads too. Di-electric grease on top porcelain before re installing coil pack too.
The rear diff fluid is cheap compared to worn gears. It works had grinding in there and the 20k is what is recommended by Chrysler. It also gives you the chance to use brake cleaner and get all the gunk out of there and clean up the magnet and observe for particles.
Trust me LubGard is good stuff. Just try it in the power steering unit and report back how in 5 seconds your pump went dead quiet.

joshg678

Reaction score
yea i wonder if her gears are on there way out. Cousin just hit 180k on his explorer and had to get new gears and his never had fluid change woops.

is the gap info on that sticker under the hood.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your gears should be fine unless you hear rude noises coming from rear.
Get the diff cover off and inspect...For stock cover: Get 2 quarts Lucas gear oil in there(not synthetic)80w-90 or 85w-140, which is what I use. http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/product.asp?id=57&cat=Automotive
25 ft-lbs to re-torque stock bolts.
Yup the gap & Plug type are listed on sticker once you lift the hood.
It is always a "Riddle" now as to how much gear oil goes into my cover.
2.5 quarts for the larger capacity Iron, seems to be about right.
41851[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Undercoated.jpg
    Undercoated.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0

joshg678

Reaction score
Do they recommend the lighter weight Gear Oil to help with Fuel Eco?

WOW, just realised that the power steering Pump has a Cooler! Thats neat.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The heavier 85-140 is for heavy duty use like trailer pulling.
The economy will be better until it warms up with lighter weight standard use.
I run the thick Lucas and even though it is thicker, I no longer notice the drag like I use to with other brands of gear oil when cold. I believe the thicker gear lube will also protect the clutches better in the Trac-Lok my Jeep has. Strange enough with the lighter lube the clutches were replaced after 2 years of service at 22K miles.
Cooler for power steering yup..but still ATF+4 is missing something as most of the power steering units become noisy. Want it quiet run cooler and always free when cold? Get the LubeGard in there.