Jeep Thing, Urban Off Roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night after my wife and I were leaving a performance, the parking lot was a zoo. Approximately 1000 cars had to filter through 1 lift gate to pay and exit. After waiting patiently for 10 min. letting the CRD warm up (22F outside) some ass went above and beyond to cut me off and not let me into the traffic stream. While the guy in the GMC 4X4 parked beside me was having words with the ass, I got out and eyed up the boulevard between the parked cars, trees and posts. Back inside, a little diesel grunt, up over the curb, left turn down the boulevard weaving through the trees and posts. Guy in the GMC rolled down the window said wish he could fit through there. Got to the end, back in the parking lot, up over another boulevard' onto the street and on the way home. Wife comments "You're my hero". Probably got home at least an hour earlier. Now, it wasn't that I did not want to pay for the parking, but I have no time for poor planning and ignorant people.

Who says an urban dweller Jeep doesn't leave the road occasionally.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is just awesome.

I was in a traffic jam one time and the road was just a parking lot. There was no traffic going the other way but there was a curb and grass area separating the lanes. I drove up and over the curb and across the short grassy area and down the other curb to the opposite lane and left. Looking in the rear view I noticed no one followed me.....LOL

Not as dramatic as your situation but still "A Jeep Thing and urban off roading".....LOL

Dave

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one time I was seriously thinking of doing some "urban" off-roading, I wish I had. I wouldn't have been rear-ended minutes later, and suffered a concussion i'm still dealing with almost 2 years on.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah on the bypass strategy. I've did it a couple of times. Dinner tasted better those nights.:gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes short cuts, just don't get caught. Cost a friend of mine 800 bucks plus court cost and reseeding an area down.
No he didn't tear it up it was others had been going, he was just the unlucky one to get caught.
Everyone has done it at one time or another of course :gr_grin:

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes short cuts, just don't get caught. Cost a friend of mine 800 bucks plus court cost and reseeding an area down.
No he didn't tear it up it was others had been going, he was just the unlucky one to get caught.
Everyone has done it at one time or another of course :gr_grin:

No worries on the grass, the ground is frozen solid.

d3m0nss

Reaction score
that story reminds me of the time i passed the entrance to a local fair 3 times because some ******* had knocked over several of the marker barrels for the entrance to the point they were now blocking the entrance and made it appear to be no longer accepting people to park..after my 3rd time passing the entrance and attemping to speak with the "vip" entrance people who only allowed parking for those attending the concert at the fair about the barrels needing moved and everyone was missing the entrance due to it .. i did a u turn by going over the road media because the road was set up to take you directly back onto the highway which you"d have to take an exit 5minutes down the road and then turn around to get back the highway to be head back towards the fair since it;s entrace was part of the highway's exit ramp..i then drove over the curb to park behind the fair instead since no one could be bothered moving the barrels

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite thing to do is take parking spots that are more-than-half way filled with a snow pile when there are no others.

Up up up in 4-LO, parking brake set and jump out.

Cop yelled at me once. He said "do you really think that's safe?"

"Yes sir I do. Parking brake is set and T-Case is in 4-LO. It's not moving anywhere."

Cop just drove off. I had no ticket when I got back.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite thing to do is take parking spots that are more-than-half way filled with a snow pile when there are no others.

"Yes sir I do. Parking brake is set and T-Case is in 4-LO. It's not moving anywhere."

Awesome....LOL

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever have the feeling some folks just can drive?
Well.. I am traveling down a tight side street, and wouldn't ya know it, one guy rear ends the car ahead, and they are outside shouting at each other.
Enough of this BS ...Thankfully the Jeep is narrow !
Over the curb, onto the sidewalk, and around I go, as I gave a honk and a waive!
It was safe to do so no one around, no kids, pets or anything on the sidewalk, and I got to my destination.
Ya I guess I should then use this sticker!
58282[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• stay%20off%20sidewalk.jpg
    stay%20off%20sidewalk.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've done that before, mostly with the beater car though. much more hilarious to see it hanging a rear wheel in the air from the lean caused by the snow pile. Also it's a beater car... no f**ks given as to scratches or dents. I don't care what the wife says, I will always have a beater car. Maybe the next one will be a roughed up Liberty. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I sometimes wish I had a beater. Although parking at the far end of parking lots to avoid dings is good exercise. :D

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done that before, mostly with the beater car though. much more hilarious to see it hanging a rear wheel in the air from the lean caused by the snow pile. Also it's a beater car... no f**ks given as to scratches or dents. I don't care what the wife says, I will always have a beater car. Maybe the next one will be a roughed up Liberty. :D

At this point, the Liberty IS my beater. With 164k miles, all the leaky fluids, holes rusted in the rocker panels painted over by over the counter bedliner, the bottoms of the doors painted without a straight edge just to slow down the rust, the "pine" stripes, the dent from when I hit my ex-girlfriend's car, the dent from when some ass hit me in a parking garage and didn't leave a note, etc.

Let's just say my Jeep has some history on it. I was thinking about it last night. I've put this thing through the ringer. 8 years of hell...it put up with 17 year old me and above. N-drops, burnouts, bottoming out along off road trails, water so high it entered the doors, being stuck in sand multiple times, being stuck with the whole rear axle under salt water, getting knocked off the jack while changing the spare, a dear...

All of that wasn't necessarily in order. But you can see why the Jeep has sentimental value. It was my first vehicle and a pretty good one at that.

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

If I was late to class, I used to drive over the curb around the arm (swipe access) that blocked the faculty parking lot at school. It was usually right next to my class. Never got a ticket doing it too. Police didn't check that lot for people without staff parking permits because it was assumed the arm would block anyone else from parking there.

Last edited: