Jeep road damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being that the jeep is 8 years old, a little character is OK for me, there is enough scratches and dings from driving in the mountains anyway
and 13$ for the marker light is way better then my 500$ deductible, now I still have to install new rivets

Hey, I took the $1,500 check from the insurance company and pocketed it, and then basically did what you're doing, trying to do my own work. In my opinion, the fender is easier to replace than the header panel.

I got out a couple of beers, some tools and started going at it, thinking I could do it in an hour. Three hours later with a notepad documenting all the pop rivets and plastic fasteners that I would have to drill out or physically break just to get the thing out, let alone replace which are probably "dealer-only" parts for $75 per set, and slowly realizing I was going to have to probably remove the bumper fascia and fenders adding more rivets I'd have to drill out and replace, I finally put everything back together and said "ooooh, that's why it costs $1500!".

Still though, when your own time is basically 'free' you can save some money.

Let us know how it progresses.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the grill on my KJ replaced the bill to DC was close to $1K for a simple grill replacement. New grill, prep and paint, that's it. I did the remove/install myself.

Word.

Once the paint shop gets involved, the price goes through the roof. I'm a bit of an amateur painter so I'm pretty confident I can do small jobs, and maybe even direct body paint. Black is one of the easier colors to 'match'.

But if you have anything professionally painted and clearcoated, you're talking high dollars.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the jeep was in a rear end pile up a few years ago, the spare tire has about 1/2inch tilt on the bottom of the tire, on the bottom, doesn't inter fer with operation and no rubbing, so i pocketed the money then too, but I didn't have a deductible then

and this time I considered going through them and doing it my self, but we switched insurance last year when we moved to a new state, so don't want to get any rate hikes since I have not been with them to long, so for now, the safest/cheapest way is to fix the light(already ordered) and then properly secure the bottom of the fender(the yellow duct tape is great look), will post pics when done

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update
got my new marker light in the mail, quick 2.5days after ordering from ebay
fromhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=230475448286&view=all&tid=464152756013
for 12.97
spent about 10$ on the 2x stronger black duct and some glue / pop rivets’
forgot to get some wax, so I used regular soap, spent 10mins buffing
5mins to change out the light
10mins, to install new rivets’/tape/glue

not too bad for only 25mins of work and 22.97$

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Looks good!
How did you fix the fender? Bc that was a good size crack!

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some "plastic steel" I think I got it from ACE hardware awhile ago, I put it on the inside of the crack, then I put that high strength duct tape over the plastic repair on the inside
the little bit of tape that extends to the outside is just for extra hold, not really needed,
then from the outside I put on some clear plastic Loctite to help hold the crack together

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby!

I was gonna suggest some two part plastic epoxy that bonds ABS instantly, i think the fender flares are ABS right? But that looks like it worked fine.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby!

I was gonna suggest some two part plastic epoxy that bonds ABS instantly, i think the fender flares are ABS right? But that looks like it worked fine.

if this fails/failed that was going to be my next try

Latest posts

Members online