Jeep lose power with the AC ON

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Danihound, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Danihound

Danihound New Member

Hi guys, my jeep liberty 3.7 L 2005 lose power if i have the AC ON and at full power (4) or almost full power (3) it starts to accelerate slower and slower until it dosnt move, but if i just put it on 2 or 1 it recovers its power like nothing happened.

Could this be related to a leak i have in the radiator tank? im going to fix it next week, but i would like to know if it could be related to it, or if i need to do something else?.

2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Yes definitely fix the coolant leak. A poorly pressurized system is not good.
    Use hoat coolant or zerex g05 only.
    I think what you are trying to describe is that when the compressor is engaged, you loose quite a bit of engine power.
    Pretty normal for a v-6 that is quite heavy, very noticeable climbing hills.
    The compressor runs more with less cycling, when re-circulation mode and fan position 4 is selected for instance.

3. Jaybird91

Jaybird91 Member

I have the same problem the other day with the a/c on and i was getting on the fwy. Very little power as if my jeep was starving for air. Anything that could help?

4. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

AC clutch going bad? AC compresser bearings toasted?

I think the service manual has a table showing what heater/AC settings use the AC. AC comes into play a lot without its' button being pushed.

Sounds like a big strain on the serpentine belt.