Jeep liberty roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin nz

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a 2006 jeep Cherokee renegade I believe in the USA they are called Liberty's. question the roof rails which were silver anodised have faded / lost there colour. they look like round tubes but possibly have an out side shell that could be removed and re finished is this possible

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same jeep and I also had to refinish my rails after the original paint was flaking off. They are a single painted/powder coated steel tube. But you can remove them to re-paint yourself or have them done. First remove the two small torx screws at either end of the rail - they are kinda hidden on the side facing the center of the jeep. Then you need to remove at least one of the black ends - I recomend the rear ones. These ends have a seem and are held together with three clips. The two sides can be pried apart - preferably with a plastic tool like a auto interior removal kit. A metal tool will leave marks. Once you have one side removed you will see two bolts that secure the rail to the roof. Simply unbolt and pull the rail toward the rear. The black end will come off, and the steel tube came be pulled off with it. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Kevin and enjoy the forum.

Dave

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used plastic trim tools and they broke and they still marred the parts.
Eventually just used a flat head screwdriver and a cloth.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what color your kj is, but I have noticed that silver rails look better on the kj's of color like blue, red, etc. But if you already have a silver jeep like I do, than silver rails just get lost, and a darker shade like graphite or gun metal looks better and stands out more. And those darker grays also look better on the natural colors like the greens and browns. Just a little advice from an artist. Best of luck. :)

olecowpoke

Reaction score
Thanks for the information..Do you know the metallic composition of the rails? Aluminum, Steel? Reckon I could weld/braze a small diameter basket grid across the roof, between the existing rails, with an extension forward and rearward, welded to the existing rails.....to somewhat maintain the OEM appearance and attachment, but expand to the full length of the roof.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information..Do you know the metallic composition of the rails? Aluminum, Steel? Reckon I could weld/braze a small diameter basket grid across the roof, between the existing rails, with an extension forward and rearward, welded to the existing rails.....to somewhat maintain the OEM appearance and attachment, but expand to the full length of the roof.

If you have the larger Rene rails then get some inch exhaust pipe, drill inch hole in each side front and rear, cut pipe to size, install and then tack weld , very thin metal so careful
But its been done before with great results

pretty sure inch or 1.25 , almost as big as the rails
Thats why I was looking for 05 Renegade roof rails for a long time

olecowpoke

Reaction score
If you have the larger Rene rails then get some inch exhaust pipe, drill inch hole in each side front and rear, cut pipe to size, install and then tack weld , very thin metal so careful
But its been done before with great results

pretty sure inch or 1.25 , almost as big as the rails
Thats why I was looking for 05 Renegade roof rails for a long time
Mine are stock Liberty (2006) racks but I want MORE.....exhaust pipe, that's a great idea.....easy to have bent to custom configuration. I have a mig welder, so thin metal is no problem. Gonna try it. Thank you so much for the information and the idea.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.