Jeep KJ incorrect gear ratio code 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aman

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm having trouble with my Jeep and in need of some urgent help,

my 04 jeep liberty auto has 146000 miles on it and the check engine light recently came on when I checked it, it came up with 4th gear incorrect gear ratio.

I changed all the fluid and now it won't shift into 4th gear at all and it still comes up with the same error code.

What could be wrong with it, please dont tell me I have to change the transmission completely!

Cheers,

Aman

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it select the other gears ok? Or is it in limp mode?

Aman

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply, I'll check the scanner code, but when I scanned it it said incorrect gear ratio.Yea the car shift up to 3rd gear fine.

Let me know what you think it is?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ratio code means it's seeing incorrect data from the 2 gearbox speed probes.
Could be several causes - wiring, probes, low hydraulic pressure, faulty TCM, solenoids, mechanical fault in the gearbox etc.
I'd start with the easy stuff- oil level, fuses, speed probes.
Is it an RFE545? There is a lot of information on these online, they were fitted to lots of cars.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

my 04 jeep liberty auto has 146000 miles on it and the check engine light recently came on when I checked it, it came up with 4th gear incorrect gear ratio.

I changed all the fluid and now it won't shift into 4th gear at all and it still comes up with the same error code.

What could be wrong with it, please dont tell me I have to change the transmission completely!

Cheers,

Aman
What is the code ?

Kawika

Reaction score
We had a problem similar.
Ended up being the shift cable.
Good luck.

Aman

Reaction score
Sorry for delay here!

Thanks everyone for your input, ya'll are so kind!

So I found out the code was 0700

I also realised that there was no gear issue when O/D was off.

What does this mean?

Could it be the sensors or wiring?

buffmattster

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Cheers,

Aman
Hi, First replace the inexpensive, easy to change, front and rear Input/output shaft speed sensors. They just plug in the side of the trans, one front one in the back (Driver side). They have a simple 2 wire clip that attaches and have one small bolt to secure them in the trans. Rockauto.com has them, as should amazon. They fix a myriad of shift problems. Made my trans shift like new again, even with 180,000 miles. Did you replace the trans pan filter and spin on filter as well? (If it's a 45RFE trans) Good luck.

Aman

Reaction score
No worries I'll give it a shot,

I've flushed the Trans fluid twice and also changed the trans filter. I have a 42RLE I'm pretty sure.

Just confirming these are the sensors?

Cheers,

Aman

Aman

Reaction score
So update I changed the speed sensors and also disconnected the battery to reset codes and PCM but it still comes up with the engine light after I drive 60kph (40mph) it revs high and then locks into 4th gear and sometimes it doesn't lock into gear. Would there be anything else I can do other than rebuilding the transmission. When I removed the old speed sensor, the output sensor had allot of metal shavings stuck to it?

Latest posts

Members online