Jeep KJ computer has mind of it's own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GyverJr

Reaction score
So a re-occurring event keeps taking place with my KJ. It all started with me pulling into a (about) 30 degree driveway, placing it in park, sitting about half a minute, then putting it in reverse, descending down into the street and turning to face the way I came. When I put it back in drive and accelerated it felt like my car died but when I looked at my gauges my rpm rested at idle and my ECS light blink like it had detected I had slipped. And well...it stayed this way. No matter how I touched the gas it always did the same thing, it was powering down my engine. So I pulled over and when I started to brake the ABS kicked in and I barely could stop. Turned the car off and back on, put it in drive, still did the same thing. If I turned off the ECS though, the car drove just fine. Also my ECS and ABS will randomly pop on my dash, then disappear. This has been happening for about 5 days now, but on some days it works just fine. I remember when I had a G. Cherokee WJ the ABS light came on and someone said you could just clean your sensors and that was the only issue and I was wondering if that could be it. Considering stopping by a dealership and inquiring but I was curious to see if any Jeepsters ran into this before. Any input appreciated ;D

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walking through your scenario in my mind, it occurs to me that possibly you damaged a wire to one of the wheel sensors. I'd take a couple minutes and go over all of them and see if any look in any way sketchy. if you took on such a steep incline at an angle it's possible you could have maxed out the flex at any corner and stressed one of the sensors/wires.

just a thought.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your battery? I've heard a lot of electrical gremlins show up with a battery that's on its way out. Just another thing to check. Other than that, I'm pretty stumped.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 30 degree driveway is pretty steep. Check you battery, especially if you hit ******* the incline of the driveway. A hard jar can damage the battery.

Latest posts

Members online