Issues with Key Fobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vthokies

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty. It has about 129k miles. This past Sunday, the car would not start. I was unable to jump it, so it was towed to a mechanic. It turns out it was the battery.

Everything was fine until last evening (Thursday). After work I was unable to use the unlock button on my key to open the doors. I had to unlock the door by using the key in the door. This set off the alarm. When I started the car the alarm turned off.

When I got home, I was unable to lock the door using the lock button on the key. I also tried my spare key and found that with the spare I was unable to lock or unlock the car using the buttons.

So now, if I want to lock the door, I have to use the lock button on the inside of the door. To unlock the door, I have to use the key, which then sets off the alarm.

Is it possible the battery in each key died? I haven't used the spare key fob in a while. I plan on picking up replacement batteries on the way home from work this afternoon with the hope that it's just the batteries that need replacing.

In the event that it's not the batteries in the key fob, what else should I look at or try?

Thanks

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If is not the battery in key fobs it is a somehow mismatched frequency.
At which point a visit to dealer for testing/reprogramming will be in order.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used the spare key fob in a while. I plan on picking up replacement batteries on the way home from work this afternoon with the hope that it's just the batteries that need replacing.

EDIT::: Just noticed also that the spare didn't work... hmm, well. Scratch what I said. If replacing the batteries in the fobs doesn't work then it's off to the dealership.

Thank goodness you have a spare fob... in which case you can follow these instructions to reprogram your old FOB if the backup still works: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25623

However, try changing the fob batteries first obviously. Good luck.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope the fresh batteries will do it.

(Stop calling it a car....it's a JEEP). Some on here will give you a hard time for calling your JEEP a car...:smokin:

Dave

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope the fresh batteries will do it.

(Stop calling it a car....it's a JEEP). Some on here will give you a hard time for calling your JEEP a car...:smokin:

Dave

.... and don't forget about all the dead kittens!

It's true, SOMEONE will give you a lot of trouble for calling your Jeep a car, and when he says someone he means EVERYONE! :happy175: hahaha but it's true, the second I realized that Mr. Darcy is not a car, he is a sexy beast, nothing has broken. And you'll be saving the lives of hundreds of kittens and or puppies.

aaspas

Reaction score
Keyless entry issue

After installing a new battery in my 2005 Jeep Liberty, the key fob/ keyless entry wouldn't work unless the vehicle was running...this went on for about a year until I went to the garage to have the oil changed and inspection....turns out it was a blown fuse that was the root of the problem....hope this helps someone who is experiencing the same.....Peace out Jeep lovers!!

Last edited:

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aye id falkon punch any poor tool to call my jeep a "car" juss saiyan lol
i hope somebody gets the reference...

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pffffff cars belong to people that like tarmac, not rocks, rivers, beaches and mountains :D