Issue with Wiper Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 02 KJ is having an issue with the wiper arms. The Spring in the arms really no longer works to point where the when i release the arm to put it back down on the window it either not move or slowly go back down to the windowshield. With that said the wiper isn't held down to the windshield that well either. I did a quick search and nothing stood out with repair or replacing the spring or even the entire arm.
I'm going to try the "zip tie" trick and zip tie a section the spring together so the other areas will have a little more spring.

Has anyone come across this issue? Any idea's? Thanks!

UPDATE:
I looked at the springs. They do seem to be working okay compared to mine on my 06 KJ. So i decided to spare some lube on the joints of the wiper arms and that seem to improve there movement.

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny you should post this, my driver's wiper started acting up just yesterday. It wouldn't push the wiper down on the glass completely but it was fine today. Probably because of the cold snap we had yesterday, -25C...and today -2C strange weather....

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine does this also... just noticed it for the first time this winter.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had this issue on a rental XK once, sure it's not bent? It wouldn't wipe a good part of the windshield, kind of an issue at 14000 feet....

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive if I understand the source of the problem. Could it be that the wiper arm springs are simply frozen? Can they be removed and stored indoors overnight to thaw & dry them out?

I would have suggested too to blast the springs with PB lube or WD40 too.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I would guess that either the springs or the hinge on the wiper arms are frozen. On mine, even if you push the blade against the windshield some, it doesn't seem to help. It's definitely better in warmer weather.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
At that rate, you should be able to use some of those mini-bungee cords.

BorisMD

Reaction score
So my 02 is having the same issue.

I tried spraying some lube on the hinge, but that didn't really help. An online search for a replacement arm didn't really come up with anything (that leaves the stealership!).

I may try the snuggie first and see if that helps.

Regards,

Boris

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like these. Only 5 bucks too. Not bad at all and there in stock at my local napa :)

I would try one first and see how the wipers work.
I had them on both my wipers and wore the bushings in the arms that run the wipers, the one that hooks to the wiper motor.
maybe mine were on thier way out to begin with. just my experience.