is my ****** about to sh## itself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

my 2006 v6 auto has 103000 km on the odometer - that's about 70000 miles to you americans. specs are listed in my autograph.

ever since i bought it 2 years ago i have noticed a problem that came and went - but now it got real bad:
when i will pull away at a stop light - there is a thud from the rear when the ****** shifts from 1st to 2nd. if i am cruising at 40 mph and i pull the shifter to 2nd gear and back to D - again - same thud (it isnt something i enjoy- but that's one way to make the thud happen). like i am rear ended by a scooter (or a harley...)....it got real bad these last few weeks.

I will be at a traffic jam- start to accelerate - and on 1st to 2nd- thud from the rear. It's real bad when i do it on cold mornings, can't pull away from my driveway at 4 mph without the thud.

Everything on my rear suspension is brand spanking new - and i mean everything. I have rebuilt every rubber part- all MOOG. new control arms (thanx jeep nice recall) new boomerang (mopar).

My jeep has had it's regular service intervals by a JEEP dealer- including a ****** fluid change 13000 km ago+****** filter.It was serviced by previous owners at the same jeep dealer. stamped service book and all...... 10000 km ago The jeep dealer did a ****** re flash. I have a ****** cooler attached to the factory ****** cooler (you get it as a tow package in the states).

I have heard a lot of bad things said about the automatic ****** on the KJ but i find it real hard to believe that a rebuild is needed at 70K miles. someone said a rebuild will do jack - cause a simple solenoid fix will do the trick. What do you think i should do before i start tearing the ****** apart?

p"s:

This is Israel, not LA - if i wanted a wrangler ****** i would go to a junk yard and choose from a huge stock. but the KJ is not common here.

Last edited:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission had fluid and filter change at intervals? (Not flushed)

How are rear driveshaft u joints? Are you lifted?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission had fluid and filter change at intervals? (Not flushed)

How are rear driveshaft u joints? Are you lifted?

JBA lift - 3.5 inches.

rear driveshaft was checked 2 months ago - tight as a drum.

As i wrote - it was- and is - serviced by a dealer, including whatever is needed for the ****** - fluids, filters etc.

Last edited:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the rear pinion in line with the tcase output?

Did you notice the problem getting worse after putting in a new rear boomerang?

You must be registered for see images attach

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually i had that problem when it was stock. at least that is what i remember.
However yes- no doubt it made things worse

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boomerang making it worse makes me think it's a u joint or pinion angle issue, the ****** reflash should work for post 2004 ****** so I would think it's not that but not sure

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty - U joints: check.

Driveshaft: check.

Took her to the best JEEP guy i know - he took a drive and said a ****** solenoid is not working properly. so I said "sure- lets replace it" and he said it's a problem cause the ****** has like 10 solenoids- some are real easy to change cause they are on the bottom of the ****** and some are real hard to change.

Any thoughts on this matter before i either tear into the ****** or import a replacement one from a breaker yard in the USA?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So everything checks out on the suspension and driveshaft. No reason to suspect it'd be anything other than transmission at this point. Sounds like you're wading into some muddy water, repair wise. Guess the choice comes down to labor rate, and how long it will take him to find and replace the faulty solenoid. Do you know what the cost will be to import a new ******?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the solenoids are in a solenoid pack. It's about $200 IIRC, and it's above the valvebody in the transmission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the solenoids are in a solenoid pack. It's about $200 IIRC, and it's above the valvebody in the transmission.

Thanx! are we talking about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/42RLE-TRAN...NOID-PACK-NEW-OEM-MOPAR/350582122667?var=null

Cause i have a trip to seattle in 2 months time and i will have no problems picking one up.

however if it is above the valvebody - it is quite a pain in the ass to remove and that will probably be labour intensive........

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Has the transmission been scanned for codes?
Dealer star scan tool or any trans shop to see what is stored.
I believe you can also instruct solenoids...if they know what they are doing...

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only does it on the 1-2 shift correct? If you put it in 1st and get on-off-on the gas quickly does it do it?

Latest posts

Members online