Ironman Lift Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matto

Reaction score
Got my Ironman kit installed this past weekend as well as 235/75/16 Firestone Destination AT's. Went to a local family-owned shop that does all kind of work and has had great reviews. The guys seemed very nice and knowledgable.

Honestly, I'm happy with how it looks, but the ride has not improved in comparison to the stock setup. Definitely firmer, but also harsher & very herky-jerky (I feel every bump in the road). I was hoping for and expecting the opposite from everything I've read on here.

Also, there is a rattle coming from the rear which I hear on any slight bump. I'll be taking it back in next weekend to have them take another look and make sure everything is tightened.

When it was finished, the guy told me they did not put in the rear hockey pucks as bumpstops because the current ones were already welded in place. Since I don't do any off-roading and can't see the springs ever coming close to full compression, I didn't think this was a big deal.

Any thoughts on why the ride is so much harsher and what is likely to be causing the rattle?

Thanks guys.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I understand you have to let it settle in for a little while. I think it'll soften a little but remain firmer compared to the stock suspension. And I would recommend putting in the rear bumpstops...don't want to ruin new suspension even if you don't go offroad.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although you don't offroad, taking it on a trail or two is a great way to flex it and loosen it up...on the street only you'll need around 1,000-2,000 miles before it softens up....be patient...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my Ironman kit installed this past weekend as well as 235/75/16 Firestone Destination AT's. Went to a local family-owned shop that does all kind of work and has had great reviews. The guys seemed very nice and knowledgable.

Honestly, I'm happy with how it looks, but the ride has not improved in comparison to the stock setup. Definitely firmer, but also harsher & very herky-jerky (I feel every bump in the road). I was hoping for and expecting the opposite from everything I've read on here.

Also, there is a rattle coming from the rear which I hear on any slight bump. I'll be taking it back in next weekend to have them take another look and make sure everything is tightened.

When it was finished, the guy told me they did not put in the rear hockey pucks as bumpstops because the current ones were already welded in place. Since I don't do any off-roading and can't see the springs ever coming close to full compression, I didn't think this was a big deal.

Any thoughts on why the ride is so much harsher and what is likely to be causing the rattle?

Thanks guys.

Alignment done yet?
If not that will change the ride plus it takes a while to fully break in.
Problem with having someone install a lift with no clue as to what they are doing is the fact that the bumpstops get bolted to the lower spring perch, you leave the stock ones in :ROFLJest:
Rattle more than likely a shock not tight , they can fix that when they install the rear bumpstops correctly

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tis why imma bring mine to tom's this summer :p

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also make sure they tightened everything down with the full weight on the Jeep instead of while it was still in the air. Seems to be the number one thing people forget.

Like Tom said though. You need to get an allignment done ASAP if that hasn't been completed. That will change how the ride feels drastically.

Matto

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give it a couple thousand miles. The alignment was already done. Trust me - would've been much more comfortable taking it to an expert like Tom but I'm on the east coast...

Another problem I'm having now post-installation -- I have a vibration between about 45-52 mph but ONLY when I'm on the gas. I start to hear/feel it around 45, peaks around 49-50, then suddenly goes away once I get past about 52mph. If I let off the gas at all between these speeds, it goes away, which tells me it's not an issue with tires. Any ideas?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a worn intermediate shaft, where the passenger side cv axle attaches to the axle assembly. If it has wear and slop, lifting makes it worse and the symptoms will be more noticeable

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give it a couple thousand miles. The alignment was already done. Trust me - would've been much more comfortable taking it to an expert like Tom but I'm on the east coast...

Another problem I'm having now post-installation -- I have a vibration between about 45-52 mph but ONLY when I'm on the gas. I start to hear/feel it around 45, peaks around 49-50, then suddenly goes away once I get past about 52mph. If I let off the gas at all between these speeds, it goes away, which tells me it's not an issue with tires. Any ideas?

Check the rear ujoints as well , not just by trying to move them/ shake them but go for a 20 mile ride and then feel them, if worn they will be really hot. Bet that could be the issue. Many that we've done here needed them due to angle changes. They run out of grease/ and then rust inside and you can't tell it until now