Interior lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deep6blue

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the interior lighting? I am looking to add some puddle lamps to the Liberty and want them to turn-on with the interior lights.

Thanks

Just for those that might ask: Puddle lamps are lights that shine on the ground near the doors. They generally come on when the interior lights activate. I installed a set on my F150 and they are great to have.

deep6blue

Reaction score
Thanks much.

I hadn't even explored the How-to section on this site yet. What a ninny.

I guess I'll pay my dues when I write the how-to on installing puddle lamps.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puddle lamps would be a cool how-to for sure. It would be nice to have some nice hidden lights that lit the ground outside the doors when the interior lights came on. Very cool idea. =D>

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all this stuff the standard caveat applies:

You're now dealing with the BCM when you mess with interior lighting. Basically a computer controls the lights. It is designed with a certain total wattage in mind, likely with some tolerance. But if you over extend the power by too much, you might risk damaging the BCM, which is an expensive part to replace.

So use caution, and know what you're doing before you begin. Things that _COULD_ have been standard equipment (under-dash lights, for example) are not a problem. Adding more lights, etc could be.

Having said that, puddle lights would be cool as hell.

-Blu

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I would look into using a relay if you're gonna use lamps, that way you're not going to have to worry about drawing off the BCM.

Or have you ever thought of using white LEDS? those can be pretty bright without any draw and they never need to be replaced

Bennett

deep6blue

Reaction score
I was going to use LED's. The "Accent Light Module" from this sight;

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm#

Should be an easy install. I was thinking of using a relay tapped off the under dash lights. But I may just wire them straight to the under dash lights since there is very little current used for LED's. The brightest white LED's on this site only use 70mA max each (420 mA for 6 LED's), and that is just when turning on. They only use 30mA (180mA for 6 LED's) continuous.

Even at the max current, I don't think there shouldn't be a problem. I figure only 0.8 amps max (0.36 amps continuous) for LED's light on both sides. Do you all think the relay is a better idea? How much current does a relay pull?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're going to use LEDS inside, by all means you don't need a relay. I was thinking you would use a relay if you used incandescent type light.

As a side note, a typical 12V/30A Automotive Relay draws about 160mA.

Bennett

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search on "puddle lights" thru google...some interesting reading including some circuit diagrams...such as here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/puddle_lights.htm

It would be cool if they could be mounted to the underside of the rear view mirrors and draw power from the ports used for the heated mirror option...then all you would need is a relay from the interior coutesy lights to turn the puddle lights on and off...you'd get alot more light on the area by the outside of the door this way and the lights would be protected better by being further from the road (or off-road!) surface...