Interior Light failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C Stoyer

Reaction score
My first post here so take it easy if this has been covered, but I was unable to find anything that helps me.

I have an 03 Liberty Limited 4X4 3.7L Automatic that is out of warranty and has just started to have the dome lights come on and off while the vehicle is sitting in my garage with the vehicle off. I have read that this could be a symptom of the BCM going bad so had the dealer do the 49.99 diagnostics on it and they didn't find anything conclusive. The multi-function switch on the column checked out fine also, which I new had TSB for a failure. All the door jamb switches check out also.

I disconnected the positive side of the battery over night, because the lights drained it the night before and when I put the terminal wire back on the lights were off, so I waited awhile and still no lights. I thought maybe it reset the BCM and cured the problem. I then opened the door and the interior lights came on, so I closed it and waited. The lights started the same sequence of coming on fading off then back on again.

Anybody ever replace one for the above problems, and if so did you do the work yourself or did the dealer do it for you. I would like to do it myself but I can't find where it is located in the vehicle without a good schematic. Beside the dealer told me it would be 405.00 for it and it didn't cover the labor. I can buy it online for a little over 300 so it would save me a bundle to do it myself.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you try replacing the BCM you might check some other items. You mention that after you reconnected the battery and opened the door that the problem re-appeared. Was this the drivers side door? If so, have you tried disconnecting the battery, reconnecting it and opening another door? It might be possible that it is only a switch that needs to be replaced, and testing another door would help to determine that. If the problem persists then you might consider the BCM replacement. Someone else may be able to chip in with some other suggestions.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer for a Jeep but when that happened on my Taurus it was the door switch and it was intermittant for a long time. You can't test it easily when it is working as things will test ok. I would follow the above suggestion with the passenger side door and if it works then try the drivers door. If it fails again it has to be the door switch.

C Stoyer

Reaction score
Ok, so reconnect the battery and try all the other doors including the lift gate glass and gate and I didn't have a fault. So I think hey must be the drivers door switch. I open the driver’s door and close it and now it doesn't fault at all. :-k Now I have an intermittent problem which will be harder yet to diagnose. Looking back at this I would think if it was a door switch wouldn't the interior lights just stay on for any extended period of time until the BCM cut the power to the circuit and not just come on a fade out continuously?

dnm45227

Reaction score
I know nothing about electronics, but if it is a bad switch that was intermitanly engaging, then wouldn't the "timer" reset each time it cuts on? That could explain why it doesn't just cut the power.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior light dimmer switch also shuts off all interior lights when working properly. Rotate the switch (left stalk) all the way toward you and it should shut off all interior lights, even when doors are open. If this solves your problem, that supports the bad door switch theory. If it doesn't, might be your BCM.

I found the interior lights on once when they shouldn't have been; couldn't repeat it; no engine code. Now I keep all interior lights off as a precaution, unless I need them. This also saves unnecessary battery cycling. Have had no problems since. [-o<

C Stoyer

Reaction score
Ok guys I have an update to the problem I was having with my interior lights. I found that the door lock-unlock actuator was not fully disengaging the micro-switch in the tumbler assembly. I replaced the lock assembly in the door and the problem is solved. Thanks for all of the ideas.