Insufficient Ionization?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight on a Saturday night and 100 miles from home the Jeep begins to misfire :thumbsdown:Now that I'm home (and learned how to check trouble codes) I find P0301 cylinder 1 misfire (as expected) and P2302, p2305, p2308, p2311, p2314, p2317 basically Ignition Coil 1-6 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization. What would cause a problem in all of the coils? At least its not a valve spring like I was dreading.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight on a Saturday night and 100 miles from home the Jeep begins to misfire :thumbsdown:Now that I'm home (and learned how to check trouble codes) I find P0301 cylinder 1 misfire (as expected) and P2302, p2305, p2308, p2311, p2314, p2317 basically Ignition Coil 1-6 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization. What would cause a problem in all of the coils? At least its not a valve spring like I was dreading.

Have you changed your spark plugs lately?

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the plugs yesterday and took it for a spin today. It seems to be fixed. They very worn: 87k on original plugs. Thats partially my bad I bought it with 70k and checked the maintenance schedule and saw it was due for a plug change at 90k. I missed there part about needing them at 30k and 60k. I was under the impression that most vehicles built after 1996ish had platinum plugs? Why would they put 99cent plugs in the Jeep its not like its a Kia or a Yugo? Worn plugs still doesn't explain why it threw six codes for all the coils all of a sudden.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard copper plugs can fire hotter than platinums. I've ran both and really don't see any benefit from using platinums over copper.

the gap is supposed to be .040. Did you check the gap of the old ones? When I changed mine at around 30K the worst plug was gapped .07 or so IIRC. That's almost twice the gap they should have.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i change mine every 15k since its cheap and easy to do. those were very wore from what you said.