Installing Thermostat Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIA_02Liberty

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

Well I know this is going to sound a bit crazy and dumb but I need to rectify a couple of things on installing a thermostat. I had a friend of mine help me change out the thermostat on the KJ but unfortunately either he installed it wrong or something because after I warmed up the car and drove it a bit, it began to leak alot of coolant from the thermostat housing. I asked him how he installed the thermostat and he said spring side to the thermostat housing not toward the engine, and he did not install a thermostat gasket stating the thermostat already comes with one.

Needless to say he did more bad then good and now this morning I am going to undo the thermo housing and install the thermostat correctly. I will also go buy a thermostat gasket as well. I purchased my thermostat from Pep Boys Part# 14369. Here are my questions:

- Do I need to purchase and install an additional gasket (Part# 35692)?
- Where does that gasket go? In between the thermostat housing and the thermostat or in between the thermostat and the engine?
- Will installing the thermostat backwards cause me to have not heat on A/C and only blow cold air?
- Will installing the thermostat without that additional gasket cause it to leak coolant?

Sorry to sound dumb on this but I did not take the parts apart and see where everything was. I appreciate all your help on this...

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might need a new plastic housing/water neck. they warp easily.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
37799[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• KjThermostat.jpg
    KjThermostat.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked on napa's site. They show a gasket for it, but it looks like the thermostat comes with a gasket on it.. Not sure if the housing needs another gasket or not, they dont list anything else.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images