Install Genuine Jeep tubular front "nudge" bar - ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought a stainless tubular "nudge" bar for the front of my KJ.

Apparently it just "bolts" on, but I can't see where or how?

Do I need to take the front bumper off?

I have 1 tow hook on the drivers side, which I assume will need to be removed?

If anyone can help me - advice or pics even, I'd really appreciate it.

I called my local dealer, but they are going to charge me more than I paid for it to fit it! [-(

Thanks!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed mine, it was not easy. And bolt-on just means you won't have to drill any bolt holes. You will have to lose the front tow hooks. No you do not have to remove the front bumper.
You will have to remove the grill to access certain parts.
Did you get all the neccessary parts, like the bolts, square lock nuts, etc?
And what year is your Liberty.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hi,
Yes it came complete with all bolts etc.

Can you tell me step by step how to do it please?

Otherwise do you think I should just pay the dealer to fit it?

Cheers.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hey Trodo,
I just noticed you have an 04 model.
I think I read somewhere that on the newer models the "nudge" bar mounts different to say an 02 model?

Anyhow, let me know what you did and I'll check it out.

Can you maybe take a photo of where it is bolted on under your car?

Big ask I know!

Cheers,

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The step by step according to the 11 page booklet that came with mine has 8 pictograms on each page, but it basically comes down to this.
You'll need, the parts, of course, a 10mm 15mm, 17mm and 19mm sockets and wrenches. I also suggest, at least 10in extentions, up to 12. Also 15, 17, 19mm wrenchs and torque wrench, but I didn't use one.

1- Remove the front tow hooks.
2- replace in the same locations with the smaller "lighting bolt" looking backets.
Pass the U-bolt through the holes so that the larger portion is nearest to the engine. And snug (not tighten) so they don't move. These are for the lower mounts.
(that's the easiest part)
3- Now remove the grill, using a torx head, #15 I believe, don't lose those screws and set the grill aside.
4- Now using a 10mm socket unscrew the PS cooler and gently move it aside, this will allow you to access the first upper bolt hole for the upper mount of the guard.
5- Using a screw driver pry off the plastic retaining screws holding the rubber isolater around the radiator. You'll need to replace those, it's easier that way. They do not provide replacements for you.
6- Okay, crank of the wheel so you can access the fog light door in the wheel well, Your passengers side. You're going to have to stick you hand up in there to find a hole that access the engine compartment. The best way to do this is to stick a flashlight in the wheel well, shining up, look down into the enging back to the left of the horn, you'll see the light.
It's best you have a friend help you out. Now take the nut on the end of the long wire and posistion it into the area so you can get the right bolt to head down into the hole, using a long extention, snug it, don't forget to also at the same time place the long "lighting bolt bracket" in place so that it come out the grille opening. It won't seem like that will work, but it does.
Make sure that's all in place, and that's the easy top bracket.
7- Repeat on your drivers side, this one is a pain in the ass. It's an even tighter fit on top, and the coolant bottle is in your way in the fog light housing below. That one took me 45 min, at least, with help.
You're going to have to shove your hand past hoses and wire for both sides. You're going to get scraped up, have a few beers ready and keep your cool.
8- One the brackets are in place, replace the plastic retainers on the rubber housing, then replace the PS cooler nut, then the grille and screws.
9- Once all four brackets are in place, you can mount the bull bar, starting with the top, snug bolts, then the bottom. The flat portion of the outward facing bar, should be 90 deg'.
Your torque ratings should be 87Nm for the upper bracket in the engine bay, and 50Nm on the mounting to the bull bar, the lowers should be 50Nm for both.

That's it in a nutshell. I would suggest if it's cheap, have the dealership do it. But there is pride in doing it yourself.

My instructions were printed 01-2002, I believe they are compat.
If you have more questions, I'll check the thread tomorrow.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Holy Crap!! (Aeh)

Thanks a lot for that, and I loke to do most things myself, but that just sounds rediculously hard 8-[

The dealer quoted me $170 (AUD) to fit it (said it would take 1-2 hours, but I thought he was bullshitting! - obviously not!)

I'll let you know how I go anyhow. I may have a go, and then just take all the bits to the dealer!

Cheers.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the hardest part are the upper brackets, having to get the bolt isn't the hard part, it's getting that nut on the end of the wire to thread, properly, so it won't strip, plus you have to get your arm into the fog light housing, opening, and bend into a uncomfortable posistion to get on top of the windsheild fluid container that you can't see and have to feel the nut hitting the bolt. Wasn't fun.
I never asked the dealership how much it would cost, that price seems sort of fair, and the time seems about right, I had no idea what to expect, took about 2.5 hours.