Info on HID/Xenon Kit Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have searched the forums but didn't pull anything up about HID lighting. Has anyone here successfully install a HID conversion kit in their Liberty (mine is a 2007). All I'm really worried about is if I will have the flicker problem. Some fords have this problem because of daytime running lights. Most running lights run at 6V and will cause the HID to blink like the lights on a COP car. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :party52:

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID kits are dangerous, they glare like crazy into oncoming traffic. i just retrofitted projectors designed for HID use into my headlights it was a decent sized project but i dont' glare light up into peoples eyes and i get the benefit of better lighting. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48327&highlight=projectors

seriously though, hid kits are horrible there are few cars that then end up working well in. you'll also lose your high beams unless you get one of those stupid double bulb kits. a good set of halogen bulbs will usually be better than a hid kit. the light goes where its supposed to instead of all over.

sorry hid kits are one of my two driving pet peeves, that and blinkers. i think everyones blinker in Wisconsin is broken

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Everyone's blinker is broken in Michigan too BUT there are HID kits that offer low and high beam using the same bulb. I have/had one. If these kits weren't such pieces of absolute (censored), I'd still be using mine. The KJ/KK are one of those very FEW vehicles that the HID kits work well in.

My solution to better lighting now is Philips CrystalVision + Headlights aimed up just enough to not get flashed every 5 minutes. lol3.gif

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure HID highbeams aren't illegal. there are many cars that come with bi-xenon projectors that have high and low beams in the same projector, it just moves a shield internally to let more light out above the cutoff.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure HID highbeams aren't illegal. there are many cars that come with bi-xenon projectors that have high and low beams in the same projector, it just moves a shield internally to let more light out above the cutoff.
No vehicle sold in the US has HID highbeams in a dual bulb setup.There is really no such thing as HID highbeams per say as those OEM setups just reflect the low beam differently for the high beam effect,so yes you are right but wrong as there is really no HID "high beam".

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in Illinois you can get a ticket if your vehicle has HID's and it didn't come from the factory. Maybe know is the wrong word to use, I have heard from many people. Most people I know just get the super bright bulbs or those blueish bright bulbs.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that no cars have HID high beams in a dual bulb setup. I was referring to the adjusting of the beam by moving the shield inside the headlight that is technically a high beam. Its is just as you describe, shield moves down, lets more light out higher up than before.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uumm.. slightly of topic. But as a licensed MOT (Ministry of transportation) technician there is no law in Ontario Canada that says the use of HID lights are illegal, however improperly aimed headlights will warrant a ticket. I was simply looking for someone who may have installed them before and could tell me what to expect in the ways of errors (light out and so on) as up north we have to have day time running lights which on most vehicles is 6V on the high beam filament. And the kit I am looking at is a bi-xenon kit which is a good idea because its longer with the filaments in a series formation which moves the light emitter further away from the axis of the reflector, therefor changing the angle of output. Plus I am very capable of aiming these lights to work properly.

So anyone have any issues installing a conversion kit? the kit I have ordered comes with capacitors just in case they are needed.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uumm.. slightly of topic. But as a licensed MOT (Ministry of transportation) technician there is no law in Ontario Canada that says the use of HID lights are illegal, however improperly aimed headlights will warrant a ticket. I was simply looking for someone who may have installed them before and could tell me what to expect in the ways of errors (light out and so on) as up north we have to have day time running lights which on most vehicles is 6V on the high beam filament. And the kit I am looking at is a bi-xenon kit which is a good idea because its longer with the filaments in a series formation which moves the light emitter further away from the axis of the reflector, therefor changing the angle of output. Plus I am very capable of aiming these lights to work properly.

So anyone have any issues installing a conversion kit? the kit I have ordered comes with capacitors just in case they are needed.
You would need to disable the DRL's to make it work.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look the OE KJ head lights work great
try driving my '09 F250 ,XL PKG
with sealed beams
yes you are reading correctly sealed beams in a truck built in 2009
the ONLY mfg still using sealed beams
and the quality is for shait
I replace the lamps about 1 every 4-6 months
company could have saved money by simply paying for the "decor pkg"
that had the better lights and chrome bumpers ,$250 more

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
There are kits available that stop the flicker yet still allow the Day time running
lights to function the way they are supposed to.
Here is a link to a company about an hour south of us:
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481/sfv/32481
I'm not sure if they actually list/show the module for fixing the
"Flicker" issue, but they do sell them.

The other thing you can do is wire the fog lights to come on as Day time running
lights, then you won't have the flicker problem.
Keep in mind that the Halogen headlamp reflector does not cast the light beam
properly when switching to a HID capsule as the arc being generated by the bulb
is not in the same position in headlamps reflector compared the to filament of a
Halogen bulb.
I've been looking at HID conversions and I personally find that the quality just is not there.
However, if you buy European specification KJ head lamps, you will get a Superior light output
from them.
Not to mention that you will also get electrically hight adjustable headlamps.
I find those to be a more advantageous and am looking at those as a future
mod.

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This discussion has me thinking of another idea. What about installing a set of low power Daylight Running Lights on your bumper rather than use the OEM headlights?

The cost is dropping & design of HID lamps is changing rapidly. I do know of a buddy that has installed an HID conversion kit into his Hella driving lamps. He only uses them with his high beams. Maybe you should consider the same idea. Who really needs HID low beams anyways?

If you think our headlights are poor you ought to see what the stock JK Jeep headlights are like, truly pitiful.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have been thinking of switching the pitiful stock fogs into my DRL's. If I run into a problem with the HID's light being to scattered I might eyelid the stock headlight assemblies. I think lids look good anyway. I use my aftermarket fogs as high beams. Ry' n Jen thanks for the link. Wish I had of looked sooner. I just bought a conversion kit from a Canadian caompany. I talked to them about the flicker problem and they are sending me a secondary kit that elimintes flicker at no extra cost. Only their kit was about $150 (CAD so about $5 USD :p little ribbin' there) before shipping (still a great price)

Im really pumped to get these lights installed!!

Also FYI today April 16th we got 1 foot of snow fall!!! I HATE WINTER!!!

Members online

No members online now.