Infant Child Seat Size...parents experience needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boiler

Reaction score
Ah the good old days where accidents meant your kids became bullets....

Until I was about 10, my brother and I rode in the "way-back" of my parents 1976 LTD station wagon. Pillows and sleeping bags were our safety equipment!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah the good old days where accidents meant your kids became bullets....

Until I was about 10, my brother and I rode in the "way-back" of my parents 1976 LTD station wagon. Pillows and sleeping bags were our safety equipment!

We used to sit on the edge of an old ford f-150 bed. Going uphill. In the rain. Both ways.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When she was born, we used a rear facing cradle style seat with separate base. When it is installed, my wife had to scoot her seat up about half way. She was still comfortable.

When she turned one, we switched to a infant to toddler forward facing seat. That allowed my wife to place her seat wherever she wants. The kid has plenty of room.

Your wife just has to "suffer" through the first year moved a little forward. If you have a second, most likely it will be born after the first turns one. The oldest is moved behind you and the newborn is back in the cradle for a year.

However, getting all of the crap you have to take around for them in the back is the problem. This is why we just purchased a '06 Town & County Touring.lol

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, getting all of the crap you have to take around for them in the back is the problem.

QFT! That's the only thing I dislike about my wife's KJ. When our kids needed the stroller, you could fit that in the back, and then you couldn't put anything else back there - forget about groceries or buying stuff in the mall if you already have to pack the stroller in. My XJ has a lot more room behind the back seat.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was a kid we hardly ever got belted in, well because most of the vehicles my parents owned didn't have seat belts or they were buried under the seats or didn't work, etc... It was a different world back then. I remember riding up in the package tray in the back window of the land barge (large car for the younger folks) we used to have for a family car and watching the traffic go by.. Any others on here do that as a kid? Seems like it was the thing to do back then. And then when your dad, or mom, hit the brakes you had to hold onto the speakers so you dont flip and roll back down into the seat... LMAO...

Now i feel old too..

Wow....I forgot about riding on the package tray....especially at night lying on my bacl looking up at the lights and stars.....ahhh the good old days!:D
Bruce

theholybull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell i remember siting on my dads lap working the wheel while my dad worked the petals. I stand 6'2" and my wife is 5'10". the boy rode behind the wife for the first year untill the seat got turned around and put in the center. Its actually more convenient because there are 2 buckles on the side of the seat, that makes a big difference when you have a kid in one arm, and a backpack and lunch box in the other. It has already been said but i will say it again. You will have a hell of alot more on your mind once the baby gets here than where the seat in your KJ is.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread.

Another Mini-Jeeper in the works - due sometime between the end of July and early August.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread.

Another Mini-Jeeper in the works - due sometime between the end of July and early August.

Congrats!!

Lots of little ones on the way. I got three and im done, got the snip in December.... LMAO

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 9 month of niece will be in NY within a few weeks, I will drive them around, they will have a child seat in New York from my other nephew, but they never hooked that up in my Jeep. I assume they know how to hook it up.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 9 month of niece will be in NY within a few weeks, I will drive them around, they will have a child seat in New York from my other nephew, but they never hooked that up in my Jeep. I assume they know how to hook it up.

Just tell them as long as they have the LATCH belt for it they are good.... Looks like a seatbelt with spring loaded hooks on each end.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chicco Keyfit 30 will fit in a liberty.

So we went to Babies 'R Us with a measuring tape and tried a few out. After testing several found the keyfit would allow us to both sit comfortable in either seat when mounted in the middle.

Unfortunately, you are now supposed to keep your kids rear facing until 2 years/20 pounds...I'm 6'3" and wife is 5'7", so genetically we are likely to have a somwhat tall child. We'll see how long the keyfit30 can fit her in reverse mode. I guess if we have to turn it slightly sooner it's not he end of the world.

One note: There is not a baby seat in existence that you can put on the sides that will not require moving the seat all the way forwar (or at least 1-2 clicks within the fully forward position). If you intend to put the seat to the side and both of you need to ride in the car either plan on the passenger sitting in back, or being short enough to move your seat all the way up.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a graco rear-facing seat when my daughter was an infant, and I don't recall any space issues. Are you saying that you have to slide your drivers or passenger seat all the way back to be comfortable?

Yes, in order for my knees now to be up against eh dashboard I need to have the seat about 3/4ths of the way back. At this point there isn't a car seat at babies 'r us that will allow the seat to go that far back.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So we went to Babies 'R Us with a measuring tape and tried a few out. After testing several found the keyfit would allow us to both sit comfortable in either seat when mounted in the middle.

Unfortunately, you are now supposed to keep your kids rear facing until 2 years/20 pounds...I'm 6'3" and wife is 5'7", so genetically we are likely to have a somwhat tall child. We'll see how long the keyfit30 can fit her in reverse mode. I guess if we have to turn it slightly sooner it's not he end of the world.

One note: There is not a baby seat in existence that you can put on the sides that will not require moving the seat all the way forwar (or at least 1-2 clicks within the fully forward position). If you intend to put the seat to the side and both of you need to ride in the car either plan on the passenger sitting in back, or being short enough to move your seat all the way up.

Ahh yes they changed the regulations on that too i remember that now. My youngest we didnt have a choice, regardless of vehicle if you put him in rear facing the poor kid was bunched up because he has long legs, made for very unpleasant car rides listening to him fuss because he wasnt comfortable. After a few weeks of that i just flipped the seat around and then he was all happy.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you and your wife are that tall, your baby will hit the 20 lbs. mark long before he/she is 2 years old - don't worry about it. Then just swap into a front-facing seat and all will be well. The way the carseat laws read, it's either 2 years old OR 20lbs. - whichever comes first. Your baby and you won't be uncomfortable for very long. Good luck!!

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember one thing.....this is all a conspiracy to make you appreciate your parents...:D Cheer up....it will get better when you have grand kids:)
Bruce

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indiaz, can we get an update from you?
Also have a baby on the way and it would be great if I can hear from other KJ owners with baby seats. What was the one you originally bought?

I guess, from what I read, Chicco and Graco are the best ones out there. But they have so many different ones, it is madness trying to differentiate them and pick out the right/best one. Most Expensive doesn't always mean the best, sometimes it means stuff you don't need.

I will definitely go with one that has permanent base + bucket + Travel system so I can easily place the basket on top of the stroller if we go out some place and we need to walk.

If anyone has pictures of their infant/toddler seat setups, it would be greatly appreciated.

We thought about
http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...romRegistryNumber=45504565&product_skn=851593
or
http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...romRegistryNumber=45504565&product_skn=432618

Last edited:

Boiler

Reaction score
I guess, from what I read, Chicco and Graco are the best ones out there.

I'm not on board with graco being the best, but they are ok and a heck of a value. Padding, base and carrier durability, and side impact tech aren't the greatest. However they are a good value and you'll probably only use the first one for a year / 18 months. This one has an anti-rebound bar too, which stops the rear facing seat from lifting up off of the seat, which does happen with most.

http://www.britaxusa.com/store/special-deals/chaperone-package

I had a graco typical value seat when my kids were babies though, but instead of the wife buying them, I've done research and found britax. My Frontier is a tank and loaded with safety features, the main one being able to be used with a 5 point harness up to 80 pounds. It sounds a bit much, but my daughter is 4 and I really am not in a hurry to give her freedom in the car, so 5 point it is...and they recommend 5 point as long as possible too.

I would recommend starting with a convertable (front / rear) lift out seat that goes with a stroller, preferably one that can hold a 30 pounder facing forward. Then graduate right to a Britax Frontier, and that will be their last carseat. The base is BIG though, and the wife is required to scoot forward about halfway again. If you follow the height and weight restrictions though, there is a good chance you're kids will be over the 40 pound weight limit before you're ready to move them into a booster.

Just get a baby one that has some longevity, and at 25/30 pounds, start doing your research and figure out how to only buy one seat that will last. The frontiers are expensive ($225 when I got mine) but my daughters will last her until she's 6 probably, at which point she'll be taller than my wife and ready for NO seat.

I am however going to add some more foam to it, she complains that her back / legs hurt after about 2 hours, but only about once every 30 minutes...I guess I could let her get out of the car for a few minutes.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boiler> have you moved your girl to a booster yet? Have you found one that fits well with the back part/head restraints on? The one we use in my wife's car just does not fit in my Jeep because of the angle of the seat.

ETA: sorry for bumping this thread, I missed a current conversation on this topic: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/childrens-car-seat-recommendations-47872/

Last edited: