In drive roll speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the car in drive and take my foot off the gas the Jeep doesn't really roll, I don't remember if it rolled faster when it was newer... I'm just wondering if there is something "slowing" it down. My other car hauls ass when I take my foot off the brake.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it drive normally otherwise? My KJ doesn't roll to fast when I just let it roll in Drive. I think it actually goes faster in Reverse when it just rolls. If your idle speed is low when you put it into gear, it will not roll as quickly. I've seen regular idle speeds between 600-800 or so, if that helps you gauge it.

Also, how does the throttle respond when you drive it? I just replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor), about $35 and 15 minutes worth of work and it idles and drives a lot smoother.

-J

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Has done it since I bought it last year. Not sure if it is normal or not.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it drive normally otherwise? My KJ doesn't roll to fast when I just let it roll in Drive. I think it actually goes faster in Reverse when it just rolls. If your idle speed is low when you put it into gear, it will not roll as quickly. I've seen regular idle speeds between 600-800 or so, if that helps you gauge it.

Also, how does the throttle respond when you drive it? I just replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor), about $35 and 15 minutes worth of work and it idles and drives a lot smoother.

-J

That makes sense, it does roll fast in reverse but not in drive and I have noticed the idle has a little bump in it. Thanks for the tip.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, it does roll fast in reverse but not in drive and I have noticed the idle has a little bump in it. Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing. Its a fast and cheap replace and if it hasn't been done it won't hurt. Keep in mind that if you replace the Throttle Position Sensor you will need to drive it around a while until it gets programmed correctly by the computer. Until then it may idle a little funky.

-J