ID this please - from rear differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGN Abman

Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L

To make a long story short, I replaced my rear wheel seals and somehow did not put in one of the spider gears and washers. I'm guessing it fell in behind the axle gears. needless to say, when driving it threw the spider gear into the cover and leaked the fluid out. The only damage that is visible is the hole in the differential cover and a beatup spider washer and the piece below that I can not identify or find where it may belong.

You must be registered for see images

Any ideas

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I would say there is probably more hidden damage if you ran it without a spider gear A) from the ring gear impacting the loose spider gear, and B)from the cross-pin running without support from one end. I can not tell what that piece is. Is it a hard metal piece, or is is a big piece of RTV? Its hard to tell from the picture. In my own opinion, I would think the diff could be toast after running it like that, but it depends on how long it was run like that. If it is toast, it just so happens that I have a 2002 3.73 rear axle (drum brake) for sale with 115,000 miles on it from my 4x4 conversion that I just did (see:LOST JEEPS • View topic - 4x4 Conversion with Pictures). It came off of a 2002 that was parted out after a minor frontal crash and comes with the lower control arms and the upper tri-link. Not trying to sell ya on it, but I could part with it for $125 +freight. Describe that piece that came out of your diff and maybe I can be of more assistance.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's part of a bearing cage. you will need to replace or rebuild.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with any luck, you will find that you just wrecked a wheel bearing. I'd still be pulling the shafts and carrier, double checking everything that you can, check the preload on the pinion, and side-play. Hopefully that was a wheel bearing cage that just made it's way back into the differential.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's part of a bearing cage. you will need to replace or rebuild.

+1

Don't think the axle bearing on a c-clip axle has a cage... that means a carrier or pinion bearing expired.

CGN Abman

Reaction score
Email sent...

Well I would say there is probably more hidden damage if you ran it without a spider gear A) from the ring gear impacting the loose spider gear, and B)from the cross-pin running without support from one end. I can not tell what that piece is. Is it a hard metal piece, or is is a big piece of RTV? Its hard to tell from the picture. In my own opinion, I would think the diff could be toast after running it like that, but it depends on how long it was run like that. If it is toast, it just so happens that I have a 2002 3.73 rear axle (drum brake) for sale with 115,000 miles on it from my 4x4 conversion that I just did (see:LOST JEEPS • View topic - 4x4 Conversion with Pictures). It came off of a 2002 that was parted out after a minor frontal crash and comes with the lower control arms and the upper tri-link. Not trying to sell ya on it, but I could part with it for $125 +freight. Describe that piece that came out of your diff and maybe I can be of more assistance.

Latest posts

Members online