I think I might have a problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there were a few days up in the Northeast last week that we got some SERIOUS rain. I decided this would be the perfect time to take the Jeep out for some fun. Needless to say I went to a spot that likes to collect some water and mud...and overall is a pretty good time. But I ran into a problem when i went into a puddle (might as well have been a small lake) that was a LOT deeper than it looked. Didnt stall out or anything... no water in the cabin...but now I have a hissing sound coming from the intake. I checked the box and my K & N filter...and no problems...no water...so I was wondering if anyone knew what could cause this sound. Its kinda annoying. Thanks in advance!!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb I have always followed is,

"Weird driving causes weird effects"

Don't forget that the engine and engine components don't know they are in a jeep and sometimes they misbehave.

Moving on to troubleshooting though.

How deep was the puddle in reference to the jeep?

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Like throttle response.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest the throttle response is fine. i had one of my friends look at it last night and he said he thinks it might be a pulley got some dirt in it...that would be why the noise gets faster when i accelerate. oh and the puddle was if i was sitting in it....um up to about id say EASILY top of wheel well. if i had known the size of it i wouldnt have gone through it...but it was only like 10 feet long no longer than any other water i had gone through...just couldnt see the bottom. my mistake for not testing it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My intake has always hissed. Its the K&N, I kinda like it. Does it always do it when idling? Mine does it when its cold and then stops after it warms up. It will do it when the engine is under slight load around 2k rpms also.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See thats what i thought too...but i have had the filter for like 2 months now...and as far as i know has never made that noise before. i am going to have my mechanic friend look at it later this week. if worst comes to worst i will just have him fix it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with that. He may make something up that isnt true just to make some money. If it sounds alittle weird then dont let him do it. Ask alot of questions. Ive caught tons of mechanics in lies by asking alot of questions.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the engine running get down and listen behind the drivers front wheel. if the noise is louder there you have a cracked rubber hose for your emmissions. located on the drivers frame rail real close to the cat. converter. can be replaced with any rubber hose from hardware store. when this hose cracks there is no vacuum leak at the engine and does not cause engine idle to raise or stumble. good luck

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i trust my guy cause its my best friends bro..i have known him for 13 years...he wasnt going to fix it...just look at it. ill do what you guys said though and check the hose to see if it is leaking. thanks

white04kj

Reaction score
I had something that sounds similar to your symptoms. I had to replace the belt and a pully. They started squealing after I did some playing in water too. My noise sounded a lot like the whine of a supercharger, so I don't know if that's what yours is like or not, but it could be the source of your problems.