i need engine noise help : /

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
friday did an oil change, too easy, nothing wrong. finished oil change, started it up, let it run for a good 10 min. took for a test drive around block just because. saturday morning, woke up. started it and this is what i hear :| idk what it is. i ran an error code test on it, cylinder #6 misfire, and "random misfire" replaced cylinder 6, reset the codes by taking the ground off of battery for 30 seconds, and replacing it, started it, did another test, no error codes but STILL getting this stupid noise, when im driving an can feel it in the gas pedal and the faster i go, the fast it makes the noise, it is also a very rough idle, and cut out on me once while idling. help me out guys HERE IS THE VIDEO OF MY ENGINE NOISE

2004 liberty engine noise. What is it?!? - YouTube

Dangerousdave26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eliminate the fact it could be any accessories on the engine.

Either remove the belt or simply relieve the tension on the belt while it is running.

This will tell you if it is an internal noise or if it is caused by a pump, compressor or alternator.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your engine tossed a rocker arm. Actually a relatively easy fix - but tracking down the CAUSE of the thrown rocker arm is a challenge.

Bob

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my father told me it is more than likely just a lifter?? idk what exactly they look like or anything or how easy they are to replace myself or even how to tell if its damaged, anybody have any pics on a lifter replacement project or can help me out with it? it'd be awesome if someone was around the Fort Campbell Kentucky area and could help me out with it

Dangerousdave26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can confirm the lifter or rocker arm theory fairly easy. Since you already had a code for Cylinder 6 misfire remove the valve cover for that side of the engine. It should be the right had side of the engine or the passenger side of the Jeep.

Look at the last two rocker arms near the fire wall. If it is a rocker arm it will be broke or off. If it is off it could be a bad lifter. To change the lifter you will likely have to remove the whole intake.

The last option is you have a broken connecting rod. Which is more what that sounded like to me.

I would pray for the rocker arm and remove the cover.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can confirm the lifter or rocker arm theory fairly easy. Since you already had a code for Cylinder 6 misfire remove the valve cover for that side of the engine. It should be the right had side of the engine or the passenger side of the Jeep.

Look at the last two rocker arms near the fire wall. If it is a rocker arm it will be broke or off. If it is off it could be a bad lifter. To change the lifter you will likely have to remove the whole intake.

The last option is you have a broken connecting rod. Which is more what that sounded like to me.

I would pray for the rocker arm and remove the cover.

ok, so tomorrow im on CQ (sitting at a desk for 24 hours because the Army thinks its an awesome idea lol) my buddies said they'll replace my lifter for me. one of the guys today told me that if u replace a lifter, u have to replace the one in front of, and the one behind it, is this true?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.