I need a tow rope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
What kind should I get?

Would I need over 23000 lbs breaking strength or is that too much?

Thanks,
Bennett

raceinfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I SECOND THAT MOTION get a tow strap I've got one pulled many out with it MUCH SAFER acts like a rubber band

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea I meant strap. I just had the wrong lingo...

I was looking at a ARB 3"x29' for 65 bucks. Breaks at 24,000 lbs.

That too overkill and is that too much money for a strap?

What other brands are good?

Bennett

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind when your thinking about overkill that the weight you see if pounds of force. Not weight pounds. The difference is the former you have to add some things into the calculations. Like friction (think stuck in deep mud), weight (this one you already know), and force applied (think the vehicle pulling is responsible for this). Now knowing this most engineers also build in a factor of safety of 2 or 3. The rule is if your close to the failure rating, it's going to fail! So you double or triple what you think your max will be so you'll never even get close to that.

Soooo that may not be over kill at all :)

As for price, no idea! :)

raceinfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try JC WHITTNEY thats were I got mine 12yrs ago,never had any problems with it,actualy my tow strap & a comalong combined pulled down a tree in my parents back yard \:D/

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is really old, but I think it breaks at 20K lbs, but I don't recall for sure :-k

When I go out to the barn, if I remember, I'll check and post back with the exact breaking point.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The static straps are usually cheaper than dynamic straps which have a little spring/stretch characteristic to them. Similar to climbing ropes. The dynamics provide more recoiling energy when you yank someone out however I wouldn't want someone to get a running start with a dynamic strap on my Liberty tow hooks. It would probably rip the bumper off...

I got a couple cheap static straps from Wall Mart (definitely the ones without hooks). I've moved lots of trees out of the road, pulled people out of the snow etc. and still going strong.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
farwellbooth said:
The static straps are usually cheaper than dynamic straps which have a little spring/stretch characteristic to them. Similar to climbing ropes. The dynamics provide more recoiling energy when you yank someone out however I wouldn't want someone to get a running start with a dynamic strap on my Liberty tow hooks. It would probably rip the bumper off...

I got a couple cheap static straps from Wall Mart (definitely the ones without hooks). I've moved lots of trees out of the road, pulled people out of the snow etc. and still going strong.

Ah I see a static strap is almost like chain in that it doesn't stretch much.

Speaking of chains, does anybody use them any more or are they just flat out dangerous?

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I picked this one out. I think it will work

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=KPR-02933&N=-49806&Ntt=strap&Ntk=KeywordSearch&rsview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|0

Bennett

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
I picked this one out. I think it will work

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=KPR-02933&N=-49806&Ntt=strap&Ntk=KeywordSearch&rsview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|0

Bennett

It's a Keeper (biggthumpup)

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like you're after the right thing.

Beats the hell outta this combo...
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

(bungee cords & suction cups) :-s

wireless_oneder

Reaction score
Bennett said:
What kind should I get?

Would I need over 23000 lbs breaking strength or is that too much?

Thanks,
Bennett

Check out: Performance Unlimited http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...ducts/superstraps.html+tow+strap+danger&hl=en

Always exercise caution when using a tow strap. Avoid those nylon cheapies with the tow hooks. I always drape a blanket over the midpoint to prevent dangerous snapback should the strap break. Most of the time you can strap on and pull 'em out, but there are hazards to recovery. Check with your local 4x4 club for a recovery training course.

"The King of Stuck" eclipsee_gold_cup.gif