I had register to tell you all thanks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDog

Reaction score
Let me explain a bit. I'm a long time truck or Jeep CJ owner going back to the late 70's. Over the last 10-12 years i've pretty much filtered to Dodge trucks, owning Rams, Dakotas, Durangos, and my latest combo of a 4x4 Dakota, a Durango, and just recently a Liberty Sport.
I just picked up the Sport last week for my wife. It's a white 2003, with 7700 miles that was owned by a 70 years old eccentric doctor(honest). The dude was maintence ****, changing his oil every 1000 miles, taking care of the ball joint recall, and doing all of the perscribed maintence at the dealer. The reciepts were all in the glovebox.
While the Sport is sort of stripo, with those gawd awful ugly wheels and no CD Changer, I couldn't pass up the 13,900 price. They were asking 16,6.
Anyway, I started reading your site, and just had to upgrade those 235 tires and 16x7 wheels to surprise the old girl, which I ordered today and should have on by Tuesday. I got an out an door price of 950 which I was trying to keep reasonable so I went with it.
I haven't seen this combo ordered and i'll let you know when I get it, but I got 245/70/16's(which you guys seemed to recommend) Toyo Open Country AT's. They seem to rate out pretty good on the 1010 site, so I swallowed and went with them.
Now for the real tight spot in my throat. I researched and researched wheels. I just do not like spoke wheels, just my opinion nothing more. I do like most any style based on the American Racing Outlaw II's. The hole pattern type wheels. But American Racing's web-site is not listing a Liberty as one of the applicable vehicles, but the local American Racing dude is saying yes they make them and will work(I know they'll say anything for a sale), and the tire store dude is saying their going to road test but first visually make sure nothing rubs, and i'll be a ****head if they do rub after all of their expert assurances, but I went with the 16x8, 5-4 1/2 lug pattern, 4 1/2 backside, part #62-6865.
I stopped before going out the door to order this package, but we'll see. I'll take some pictures if it ever stops raining in Michigan and I can get it cleaned up.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey dog, congrats on your liberty! i bought an 05 new, black of course, and i thought i was gonna bling it with 18" chromes and low profile tires.....well.....i did ALOT of research on wheels. from what i found, you CANT get a less backspacing (4 1/2 vs. factory 5 1/4) with out lifting, cuz the extra width of the wheels moving outboard will rub the wheel arches.
btw, i subsequently took the thing in the woods....im flippin hooked! i put on brigestone revo's, and, when i can afford it, i will lift it and put taller tires to gain some ground clearance! thank goodness i didnt go for a boatload and bling the thing!

DodgeDog

Reaction score
Well, i'm honked off to say the least, and anyone in Michigan if you go to Belle Tire, while i'm sure there's some people that know what their talking about that work there, be real careful.
I knew from readin this site that the wheel to go with would be a 16x7, so when they ordered the Outlaw II's in 16x8 I started raising some concern. "Oh no, those American Racing guys know their stuff". Yeah well the wheels come in, and they mount one on a Toyo 245/70/16 tire, stick it on the truck, and heck yes it looked great, but I wanted them to put it back on the ground to watch for any rubbing. "That will fit, I promise you, THAT TIRE WILL NOT RUB!". Okay lets mount the other 3 and put them on only to find out it rubbed real good with just minor turning. Then he wanted to keep the same wheel and put on 235/70's. B.S., I made him take them all off, put the stock tires back on and I got my money back.
So now i'm back to looking for a 16x7 wheel with the correct backspacing, with a 245/70/16 tire(I like the Toyo's). I'm real fussy with the wheels and haven't had much success.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodgedog, welcome, and congrats on the Sport. For sure let us see the photos with the new wheels. =D>