HUGE DILEMA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I can't decide whether or not I would like the look of a Brush/Grill Guard on my Jeep. So I need all you guys to help chime in and put my mind at ease. I like the Brush Guard that came on the newer model Columbia Editions. That is the one that covers completely the bumber inbetween to two humps that stick out on the front bumper. (Mopar?) I also like the grill guard almost exactly like that one that doesn't have the square bars covering the lights. PLEASE HELP!!

And one more thing.....how much do those weigh? I have 265's so i dont want any rubbing..and i love how my KJ sits even.

Thanks everyone for your help, seriously.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know which ones you are talking about, but a link with some pics would be nice. I was thinking about adding one as well, but I can't justify the price for a looks only mod, so I decided against it. Mopar's molded brush guards offer very little protection, they are just plastic and are mainly a looks only mod. Being all plastic, I can't imagine they weigh more than 30 pounds. If you're looking for off road protection, and I imagine you are with those big tires and lift, I'd got with something more solid. I don't think any brush guard will weigh you down enough to cause any rubbing, an ARB bumper would. You could always go to a heavier spring.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how the mopar tubular guard looks on the renny. I like that it doesn't go above the hood line or stick out too much.
You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine

I have the Columbia Edition Liberty. I got this guard for it...Not sure if its similar to what you were looking for. I\\\'m going to go out and check to see if I can remove the tube bars around the headlighs (there are large screws where it connects into the main guard).

DSCF0474.JPG

-Phil

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great!! Did you order the guard, or did it come with the package? If it was added on by you...did it lower your front end at all?

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
jackie, is that parking lot full of water?

It is not a parking lot... it's the entrance to the old Alameda military base... yes it was flooded. There is not much mud or "rough" terrain ](*,) around my area... even if there are small patches, it is prohibited for vehicles. So I was thrilled to see something to play in with my jeep. Now that I think about it, it was kind of stupid because there could have been a huge pothole or sinkhole hidden under the water. It was fun while it lasted \:D/

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the full guard and they're not as heavy as they look. Don't get me wrong, they're solid, but they're lightweight. No saging at all.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one like Jackie's (a bull bar - see avatar) that I got just so I'd have some place up front to tie my canoe to. Very light. In fact, so lightweight that once I pulled the tie-down cord really tight and it pulled the bull bar up noticeably on one side. I just pushed it back. I like the one you're looking at better but I didn't see those available when I got mine. I can't see that anything short of the ARB would be heavy enough to sag your front end, and even then...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i have similar ones to blckkj, but i have it in bling er chrome....

You must be registered for see images

mopar tubular brush guards they are called....
actually thinking about selling them...
dont wiegh that much, i dont think...

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those look great. I just found out though that they all attach to the tow hooks. And i think that tow hooks are something i can't live without. The bars look great....but i guess the tow hook thing makes my decision for me, damn. ](*,)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
like the style you wnat or similar to the one i have, I have been told you can put the tow hooks w/ it on, as you can see, the holes arent covered up by the uprights. i've been wanting to try it out, but I havnt been able to get my hands on hooks

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"you can put the tow hooks w/ it on,"

I'm sorry I dont understand.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
FL RENNY said:
"you can put the tow hooks w/ it on,"

I'm sorry I dont understand.

u can have both tow hooks, and those bars on at the same time...
if you notice bennetts and jackie's there are bars covering the holes where the hooks would be...but if you look at the one i have and blckkj's the holes are still open......

P4M

Reaction score

Just my ten cents:

1. If you can't mount a winch, I think they are kind of useless.
2. In a collision they are and added danger. (yes, all collisions are dangerous), effects airbag deployment.

I think if you are going to spend the money on a good lift, tires...etc, then a guy shouldn't half-a$$ it. Spend the money and get a new bumper with a winch.

I guess if you are only going for cosmetic improvement, then definately go for a bar or guard, mount some lights, put in a DVD and some graphics...

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point JON, and it looks like that may be tru, any way i get get you to take some close-up pics of how the bar mounts to the tow hooks? That way i can see if there is room to still be able to use the tow hooks........If it's not too much trouble that would be really appreciated before i go and spend $500 buks on something I wont want to put on when it gets here.