How To: (VIDEO) Cycle Fresh Transmission Fluid Through Your System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull your pan,you will see,dip stick is right there. A flush,by the dealer($175.00) in Ky is fairly sure way to exchange fluid.
I know about the flush, but I want to cycle fluid like flair1111 suggests between dropping the pan every 30k. I was wondering if 2QTs was the max you could siphon out or can you keep going till 3, 4QTs?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I know about the flush, but I want to cycle fluid like flair1111 suggests between dropping the pan every 30k. I was wondering if 2QTs was the max you could siphon out or can you keep going till 3, 4QTs?

When changing filters 5-6 qts needed for refill,If your not shooting it on the ground,4-5 qts ought to do it.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how pulling 2 qts out and replacing it every whatever thousand miles is going to benefit my transmission. There is no way on (diety of your choice)'s green earth that you can segregate the clean from the dirty. Do the math...

12 dirty qts - 2 dirty qts + 2 clean qts = 12 dirty qts WTF???

Just go to the dealer and get it all flushed out at once... Do the math..

12 dirty qts - 12 dirty qts = 0 dirty qts

then

0 dirty qts + filter + 12 clean qts = happy transmission.:)

Last edited:

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree.. I was going to do this myself, but after all the hardships I hear that one has to go through... I found a place here that will do it for $75 and they will let you sit there and do it to your contentness... if that's a word.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how pulling 2 qts out and replacing it every whatever thousand miles is going to benefit my transmission. There is no way on (diety of your choice)'s green earth that you can segregate the clean from the dirty. Do the math...

12 dirty qts - 2 dirty qts + 2 clean qts = 12 dirty qts WTF???

Just go to the dealer and get it all flushed out at once... Do the math..

12 dirty qts - 12 dirty qts = 0 dirty qts

then

0 dirty qts + filter + 12 clean qts = happy transmission.:)

its just the fact that some "old" fluid is replaced with new, that of course mixes with the rest. couldnt hurt.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i am paying $75 to have mine done professionally... and this is the only time it has been done, at 90K, so i figure that's not too bad.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i am paying $75 to have mine done professionally... and this is the only time it has been done, at 90K, so i figure that's not too bad.
Make sure they use ATF+4,make them show you the actual label.It's a no-go with DEXIII with a additive.

The only approved ATF+4 sources............
http://centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

I would be kinda leary of that place unless you are supplying the ATF+4 yourself.Heck the required amount of ATF+4 needed to properly flush your trans would almost cost $75 alone.

trophyslayer

Banned
Reaction score
I liked the idea flair
so I built a similar pump only difference is I didn't like the speed of using a hand pump to pull the fluid, so I removed the hand pump and attached the shop vac to the suction side of the tubing, and I made measurement marks on the jar so it is easy to tell how much to refill, total time added to an oil change is about 3-5 mins to set up, refill, and clean up

Scooba Steve

Reaction score
42RLE fluid capacity

Just to note only the 45RFE trans holds 14qts,the 42RLE only holds 12qts.

Not that I am doubting you on this.

But, can you offer some insight into why in my 2006 service manual it states that for an overhaul fill the fluid capacity for a 42RLE is only 8.8 quarts.

Does the transmission AND torque converter together hold the total 12 quarts that you are referring to?

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I am doubting you on this.

But, can you offer some insight into why in my 2006 service manual it states that for an overhaul fill the fluid capacity for a 42RLE is only 8.8 quarts.

Does the transmission AND torque converter together hold the total 12 quarts that you are referring to?
The 42RLE transmission holds 8.8Qts and not 12Qts. The 2006 and 2003 FSM both state this.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Service Fill - 45RFE 4.73L (10.0 pts)
O-haul Fill - 45RFE 13.33L (28.0 pts)
Service Fill - 42RLE 3.8L (8.0 pts)
O-haul Fill - 42RLE 8.3L (17.6 pts)
Dry fill capacity Depending on type and size of
internal cooler, length and inside diameter of cooler
lines, or use of an auxiliary cooler, these figures may​
vary.

Rage, check your FSM source stuff. This is quoted directly from page 0-6 (Lubrication and Maintenance, sub section, Fluid capacities and Specifications.) of my 02-07 KJ Sevice And Repair Manual.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Service Fill - 45RFE 4.73L (10.0 pts)
O-haul Fill - 45RFE 13.33L (28.0 pts)
Service Fill - 42RLE 3.8L (8.0 pts)
O-haul Fill - 42RLE 8.3L (17.6 pts)
Dry fill capacity Depending on type and size of
internal cooler, length and inside diameter of cooler
lines, or use of an auxiliary cooler, these figures may​
vary.

Rage, check your FSM source stuff. This is quoted directly from page 0-6 (Lubrication and Maintenance, sub section, Fluid capacities and Specifications.) of my 02-07 KJ Sevice And Repair Manual.

8.3L = 8.8Qts no?:confused: