How to tell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if your CV Intermediate shaft needs to be replaced. The reason I ask, is that its the last part I am waiting on, and it currently on back order to July 1st. I was going to replace it just to replace it, but hell if mine is still good, then I might as well use it. But everyone says to replace, how can you tell if its bad? both of my snap rings are in good shape.

Thank you

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the splines on the CV are bad, chances are the splines on the intermediate shaft that it connects to are trashed also. If they are and you only replace the outer shaft, its splines will be damaged soon too.

BreeOge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The splines are rusty, but not worn. You can still even see the groves on top of the splines when it was manufactured. I had to beat it out of the CV due to it being in there TIGHT! I get my remand CV's monday, so I will stick it in, and see if there is any slop I guess.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never replace a CV without replacing the intermediate shaft as well, both wear