How to start with broken ignition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This helps a lot! Had to leave my Jeep at work today because it just wouldn't crank. I'm assuming right away it's an ignition issue and will be doing the replacement tomorrow! Wish me luck! :thumbsdown:

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep left me high and dry (and hot with the heat index at 112f) with this issue yesterday. Very disappointed that a POS cast aluminum part sidelines a vehicle. Hadn't heard of this issue, so hired a locksmith for $200. Bunch of BS!
Here a decent video I found for the next poor soul who has this happen to them. Hopefully it won't be too late for them.

:Rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRft6dAW8Y

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep left me high and dry (and hot with the heat index at 112f) with this issue yesterday. Very disappointed that a POS cast aluminum part sidelines a vehicle. Hadn't heard of this issue, so hired a locksmith for $200. Bunch of BS!
Here a decent video I found for the next poor soul who has this happen to them. Hopefully it won't be too late for them.

:Rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRft6dAW8Y

A locksmith most certainly was not needed. You could have gotten a ride to Home Depot and picked up the right tools to take it apart, then just started the ignition without the key. Stick a flathead in the ignition switch and turn.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the same thinking one could just as easily do their own dentistry.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A locksmith most certainly was not needed. You could have gotten a ride to Home Depot and picked up the right tools to take it apart, then just started the ignition without the key. Stick a flathead in the ignition switch and turn.

I did not know how to take apart an ignition switch and start the Jeep with a screwdriver. Perhaps that is "A Jersey Thing".

As I said in my post, I had no idea what the issue was until after the fact. I do service calls on computers and need my vehicle or I miss calls and therefore do not make money. I had to get it fixed and get back on the road. My rant was not with the locksmith, but with Chrysler for making such a vital part out of cheap @$$ cast aluminum. If you want to make the radio knobs and other non-essential parts out of crap fine, just make the parts that count out of quality materials.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's a lot easier than that. Why in the movies, all you do is reach up under the dash and pull down a loom of wires. The two wires that happen to be bare get touched together, and presto the engine starts!! :happy175:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the pistons are cast aluminum also. What tools do I need and do I need just one spare, or six?

/s

I did not know how to take apart an ignition switch and start the Jeep with a screwdriver. Perhaps that is "A Jersey Thing".

As I said in my post, I had no idea what the issue was until after the fact. I do service calls on computers and need my vehicle or I miss calls and therefore do not make money. I had to get it fixed and get back on the road. My rant was not with the locksmith, but with Chrysler for making such a vital part out of cheap @$$ cast aluminum. If you want to make the radio knobs and other non-essential parts out of crap fine, just make the parts that count out of quality materials.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the same thinking one could just as easily do their own dentistry.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mean a locksmith wouldn't be the first person i would call if my jeep wouldn't start...

Anyway all the information is here and that's what I was pointing out. If you want to impulsively rant about something you cannot control then go ahead.