HOW TO: Simple GPS mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know I promised this GPS How-To would be done about a week ago, but I got busy :rolleyes:. But here it is!

So I hate the suction cup mount (blarg), it leaves marks, and you have to take it down every time you leave your car, or someone will know you have a GPS and will possibly break in (at least around here). So I decided to make this fairly simple, integrated mount that fits the dash and doesn't scream 'HEY! I have a GPS!!!'

By the way, this mount cost me NOTHING! All you need is: Your GPS mount that came with it, a drill bit, a small screw and nut that fit that hole, some tin stripping (I used the kind with the holes in it), and paint. I was lucky enough to have all of this laying around (and I assume most do).

So here is the Garmin mount that you receive in the package:
You must be registered for see images attach

Pop the windshield mount off, so you just have the part that grabs the GPS:

Drill a small hole (sorry no measurements, but easy enough) in the middle of the little grabber part:

Now, cut and bend the tin stripping. I honestly had no idea what lengths and bends to do until I messed with it. This wouldn't be a bad time to skip ahead to see how the rest of the mount works though, so that you can figure out the measurements, if anyone actually wants them ,I can get them, just comment on the How-To:

Now put the screw into the hole in the grabber part (sorry about the bad pic quality):

Put the screw through the tin stripping, and put the nut on the other end, tighten well:

Now that the mount's finished, it's time to rip apart the dash and screw it in. For those of you who don't know how, here's a quick How-To. Unscrew the small screw in the cubby next to the power outlet (I always keep in the cup holder for the time-being):

Then just pull the entire trim bezel out. There are 4 snaps that should pop right out.

Now locate the bottom right screw that holds in the radio:

I thought that the top right screw would be an option, but the bezel doesn't fit on when you use that screw, so I went with the bottom one. You could also use the bottom left, but the GPS would be hidden behind the steering wheel.

Screw the mount into the dash with that screw (also a terrible pic but if it doesn't make sense, the next pic should explain):

Now replace the trim bezel and the screw in the cubby:

The tin is nice and easy to bend, so you can bend the GPS towards you:

My GPS is hardwired into the cigarette lighter and the wire is run up next to the glove box. Looks nice and clean. Here's pics of mine all finished (and with a better paint job):

Enjoy!

Feel free to steal this, copy it, whatever. I'm not looking for credit, just wanna help!:)