HOW TO: Replace factory front tow hooks with dual hitch or D-rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the factory-installed hooks come with M-bolts, but if you order tow hooks from mopar they include the stud plates instead. You can order just the stud plates without hooks as well.

I chked with the local dealer and they are between 15-16 bucks for the mounting plates, I belive each.
And the hooks them selves are 192.00 w/o the mounting plate.

You can find the hooks on ebay and the forsale forum somtimes on here and Lost that's how I got mine paid 80.00 incld. shippng

Democedes

Reaction score
I am wondering if these two receivers on the front can then be used to fab a winch mount plate and if they would be strong enough? I don't see why they wouldn't be where its used for recovery anyways.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if these two receivers on the front can then be used to fab a winch mount plate and if they would be strong enough? I don't see why they wouldn't be where its used for recovery anyways.

Yes they are strong enough for wench mount and other accesories like towing hitch

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks cool.

no function, but looks cool. that's nowhere near enough tie-in for proper recovery. you've changed the pivot point completely, and it needs reinforcement. not that the factory brackets are strong enough to begin with..

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks cool.

no function, but looks cool. that's nowhere near enough tie-in for proper recovery. you've changed the pivot point completely, and it needs reinforcement. not that the factory brackets are strong enough to begin with..

If you're going to identify the problem you should also identify the solution.

Since this mod uses the factory recovery points it would seem using the receivers in place of the tow hooks will work just as well. Your recommendation instead would be...?

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing this would change the center of gravity of the tow point and drop it down, therefore increasing the leverage on those brackets.

the appropriate solution would be to add reinforcement behind the brackets, either extending them rearward to as many more points as you can, tying the two brackets together, or doing both of these things.

the factory tow hook brackets are by design not very strong. I have a couple sets of bent brackets to prove this fact.

Above and beyond this, putting a class 3 front hitch on to a mount with only 3 points that is not spread out farther than 5" away from each other just leads me to wonder how long it will take before some clueless soul tries to use it to park a trailer.

I just think the overall design of this will in all likelihood cause damage to the uniframe, or result in dangerous situations such as flying straps etc.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would also add that you can't much do side pulls with this as it will likely tear right out.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing this would change the center of gravity of the tow point and drop it down, therefore increasing the leverage on those brackets.

There is actually very little, if any, change in the tow point's center of gravity.

True, they are not incredibly strong tow points to begin with, but replacing the OEM hooks with hitch receivers does not diminish the tow points' capabilities in the slightest.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i was going to do something like this i would get the welder out and buid a front hitch with dual hitch's .... i could build something that would be 100% stronger for about 30-40 bucks

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i was going to do something like this i would get the welder out and buid a front hitch with dual hitch's .... i could build something that would be 100% stronger for about 30-40 bucks

I'll keep an eye out for the how-to :gr_grin:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for the how-to :gr_grin:

I don't own the liberty in my build thread. I bought it and actually built it for my dad so he doesn't have to drive the MJ in the salt anymore.

That being said, I feel safe to say that *if* I am allowed to do this to ours, it will come out similar to what teckman is saying, and actually be strong.