How to: Replace HVAC blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some extra info on pulling the dash on a 2005-2006 Liberty...
You won't be able to remove the dash until you remove two bolts UNDER where the two bolts that hold the steering shaft in place are located.... these two bolts go into the aluminum brace and are very hard to find.... They thread UP into the brace... after removing these bolts the dash can be moved forward.... Unlike the 2002 Liberties where there are only one pivot bolt are only one per side The 2005/2006 have one... Look for another bolt above the glove box latch and two bolts behind the radio/hvac panel...

I thought this might help others with this job.... I got a 2006 where the previous owner(s) cut the bottom out of the hvac case to manually move the plastic doors inside... I'd rather spend the time and do it right... so the whole box had to be replaced...
Dave

Last edited:

jlong

Reaction score
I just got mine in. Pulled the dash back like posted. I filled a Harbor Freight organizer with the fasteners and labeled everything. There are openings behind the passenger side air bag cartridge. Removing the cartridge gave me even easier access through those openings.

JAMS

Reaction score
Can you post a pick of the two bolts that thread up that you’re referring to. I have a 2006 that I’m stuck on with removing the dash on drivers side

Last edited:

scottski

Reaction score
I found out I had a bad actuator after replacing the heater core...so I had to pull the dash twice.

But that actuator cost 120 buck from the dealer$hip. I did not want to go used.
Funny thing I went to the pull yourself junk yard. Every liberty ( about 8)had their dash cut with a sawsall just in the dash section to get to the blend actuator. Someone knows something about what makes money reselling parts on ebay.

TimberWolf

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted this on a 2011 Jeep Liberty? The symptoms sound exactly what mine is doing.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought the KK actuator was easier to access under the dash behind the glovebox. I didn't think it was buried behind the dash like the KJs.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
When you are installing the new motor, is it supposed to line up with the gear fitting in the hvac panel? Or do you have to open it up and rotate the gear to fit?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine failed on the cold setting and I believe it is default for the system and the motor/actuator. I think every time you shut the engine off the blend doors move to cold and then reset to previous dial setting when you start up again. I guess I was lucky since it fit right on and lined up. I would think it would move without taking the thing apart but don't know for sure. I know you can use a 9V battery to run the motor and just reverse the polarity to move the opposite way so that may be easier to line it up (get it close) without taking the thing apart. There is a calibration process somewhere in the FSM but I never had to do that.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
You can just pop the clips on the sides of the actuator and turn the motor to fit where it needs on the hvac panel... Got mine working!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the range work from full open to full closed or did you have to run a calibration?

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
It seemed to work fine once I installed it. I did the calibration steps but I didn't notice it actually doing anything... My actuator was broken and would just spin nonstop in the direction you turned the dial, which caused the blend doors to get all jammed up. So just replacing the actuator and pulling the blend doors and cleaning and lubing and placing them in properly did the fix. Just ***** how much work just to get to those lol.

Jeep2003

Reaction score
I too have an 02 and 03. My 02 motor stopped.
I did spend about an hour but I cheated and cut access holes to right side of the radio and glove box area. It's a job for a small hand from that point on. But hey it worked

Hey I need to change mine also, would you be able to show exactly where you cut to gain access?

Jasonmc

Reaction score
I followed a lot of this to do the job on my 06. On the smaller 10 mm bolts with washers, I found 8. 1 by the fan speed resistor, 1 below the airbag, 2 behind the stereo, 2 below the speedo, and 2 that are on either side of the column facing up. It was handy to have the airbag cover off to see in there, and I did use that opening to remove and reinstall the 1 screw holding the blend motor closest to the rear of car, it made it so I didn’t have to rock the dash out more, more rock out is tough to get. The other 2 closer to front of vehicle I did by reaching down in the gap created. On the 06 you are supposed to put the temp right in the middle position before beginning and it seems that’s where the new motor was by default

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg